Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 10:01 AM

Re: Rocking Horse Rescue.

Originally Posted by toners ->
Very envious of your workshop as well!
Me too. What fun.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 10:08 AM

Yes what a workshop...I'm so jealous and so tidy too I would love that.

All I can say is wow to your work ....just wow.

I would lose the doll though after just watching the horror film The Doll I couldn't sleep with him in the house .

Spectacular job.....love it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2019, 10:21 AM

What a lovely story Fruitcake I enjoyed following your journey and seeing the wonderful end result
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2019, 11:13 AM

Thanks for all the comments.

I had always wanted to make a traditional horse but had no idea where to start. Someone must have been listening because I was given a book on how to make them, written by a chap called Anthony Dew, who runs a rocking horse "stables" just outside Pocklington near York.

If anyone is in the area it's well worth a visit, and they do an open day at the end of the school summer holidays. There are also gardens nearby (Burnby Hall Gardens) that are really lovely to visit, fairly flat and mostly wheelchair friendly, where you can see a gigantic rocking horse of "Troy" proportions.

I made Rocky for our first born when he was about 3-4. It took me a long time but I enjoyed doing it and enjoyed learning all the old skills needed to do it.

We visited the Rocking Horse Shop mentioned above when our youngest was about 5. He had never expressed any wish to have a horse until he sat on one in the showroom and said, Daddy, will you buy me this.
I looked at the price tag of £1750 (and that was nearly thirty years ago), blanched, swallowed, and said no, but I will make you one.
Hence Harriet was born.

Our eldest once told me that having Rocky in his bedroom reassured him. He would wake up in the night, see the horse standing guard over him, and roll over and go back to sleep knowing all was right in the world.

Pippa was a bit of a wreck when I got her, and the original plan was to do a cheap a restoration as possible and give it to charity.
Being a perfectionist when it comes to DIY is my downfall. Having started I couldn't leave blemishes or paint runs or rust bubbles or pitted metalwork or send it out without a tail.
Consequently it took much longer than originally planned and got to the point where my Cousin said, it's too good to give away after spending so much time in it, and it would be nice to have a horse on show again.

So, we kept it and signed up to GOSH instead.
I do feel guilty as I have deprived a child or children of the joy of playing with it, but I'm sure GOSH will put the money to good use.

Thank you again for all your kind comments.

I have a footstool to recover, an old wooden bunch seat to refurbish, a water feature to build once the weather has improved, but hopefully I might get round to the job I have wanted to do for decades, build a Dalek.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wow! What a fantastic job Fruitcake. I think he is great. I see your dog photobombed too.
Originally Posted by mart ->
A great job there Fruitcake. Well done.
Beautiful horse, Fruitcake.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Thanks for all the comments.

I had always wanted to make a traditional horse but had no idea where to start. Someone must have been listening because I was given a book on how to make them, written by a chap called Anthony Dew, who runs a rocking horse "stables" just outside Pocklington near York.

If anyone is in the area it's well worth a visit, and they do an open day at the end of the school summer holidays. There are also gardens nearby (Burnby Hall Gardens) that are really lovely to visit, fairly flat and mostly wheelchair friendly, where you can see a gigantic rocking horse of "Troy" proportions.

I made Rocky for our first born when he was about 3-4. It took me a long time but I enjoyed doing it and enjoyed learning all the old skills needed to do it.

We visited the Rocking Horse Shop mentioned above when our youngest was about 5. He had never expressed any wish to have a horse until he sat on one in the showroom and said, Daddy, will you buy me this.
I looked at the price tag of £1750 (and that was nearly thirty years ago), blanched, swallowed, and said no, but I will make you one.
Hence Harriet was born.

Our eldest once told me that having Rocky in his bedroom reassured him. He would wake up in the night, see the horse standing guard over him, and roll over and go back to sleep knowing all was right in the world.

Pippa was a bit of a wreck when I got her, and the original plan was to do a cheap a restoration as possible and give it to charity.
Being a perfectionist when it comes to DIY is my downfall. Having started I couldn't leave blemishes or paint runs or rust bubbles or pitted metalwork or send it out without a tail.
Consequently it took much longer than originally planned and got to the point where my Cousin said, it's too good to give away after spending so much time in it, and it would be nice to have a horse on show again.

So, we kept it and signed up to GOSH instead.
I do feel guilty as I have deprived a child or children of the joy of playing with it, but I'm sure GOSH will put the money to good use.

Thank you again for all your kind comments.

I have a footstool to recover, an old wooden bunch seat to refurbish, a water feature to build once the weather has improved, but hopefully I might get round to the job I have wanted to do for decades, build a Dalek.
A Dalek would be brilliant to see being built.
But horses are my love. I sometimes go to Sallys rocking horse site & droole over the ones she has for sale. They restore theirs, ones that need it too. She has all the well know makes & they are pricey, even the modern horses. I could aford one maybe, but I haven't got the room for even a proper Victorian small one.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2020, 07:31 PM

It’s absolutely wonderful a beautiful job Fruitcake .

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top