Join for free
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 12:59 AM

Re: USA 2020 - Itinerary

Hey Floydy. Is this your first trip to the US?..Maybe you're an old hand but if by any chance it's your first time in San Francisco, a few tips depending on how much time you have. If you're wandering through the CBD around Market and Van Ness be careful not to stray into The Tenderloin district. It is a bad place especially for tourists and it's easy to end up there by accident. One minute you are surrounded by banks and business suits, boutiques and art galleries and you literally cross a corner and you're in the worst part of town. LOts of dodgy dudes, pickpockets, shysters and thugs. The locals will help you avoid it. Pier 39 is fine and Bubba Gumps seafood palace is an experience but there's better restaurants elsewhere you can try if you have time. Golden Gate park is beautiful especially the arboretum. Make sure you have a good jacket because SF is a very cold place especially in summer weirdly enough. And Alcatraz is FFFFFFREEEEZZZZING!!..Rug up for that. Maybe you know all this already. Have fun. I've spent a fair bit of time in SF. I feel quite at home there. I Lived in Noe Valley for a while. SF is Sydney's sister city. They are similar in many ways.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Hey Floydy. Is this your first trip to the US?..Maybe you're an old hand but if by any chance it's your first time in San Francisco, a few tips depending on how much time you have. If you're wandering through the CBD around Market and Van Ness be careful not to stray into The Tenderloin district. It is a bad place especially for tourists and it's easy to end up there by accident. One minute you are surrounded by banks and business suits, boutiques and art galleries and you literally cross a corner and you're in the worst part of town. LOts of dodgy dudes, pickpockets, shysters and thugs. The locals will help you avoid it. Pier 39 is fine and Bubba Gumps seafood palace is an experience but there's better restaurants elsewhere you can try if you have time. Golden Gate park is beautiful especially the arboretum. Make sure you have a good jacket because SF is a very cold place especially in summer weirdly enough. And Alcatraz is FFFFFFREEEEZZZZING!!..Rug up for that. Maybe you know all this already. Have fun. I've spent a fair bit of time in SF. I feel quite at home there. I Lived in Noe Valley for a while. SF is Sydney's sister city. They are similar in many ways.
That's really useful info, thanks Keezoy
I'll make a note of the Tenderloin District and stay clear when we go. I want to go to Haight Ashbury as I know it's a hive of activity with the music scene. A friend visited a few years ago and recommends the area.
Alcatraz is a must too and we'll pack our coats.

No I've only ever been to the USA once. I was on the way back from Belize with the RAF and we had to refuel at Washington but were in uniform so we had to stay in the airport. Central America, yes, but not the USA
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 07:12 AM

Yep best avoid The Tenderloin although the locals there kind of look after you and steer you out again if you stray in. It's pretty grim. It makes Kings Cross here (Sydney's "equivalent") look like Mayfair. Haight Ashbury has some good places to go. It's a kind of museum these days with lots of hipsters and gentrified sub areas. Still plenty of weirdos around. Mostly old hippies that have survived with a bit of brain intact. If you're staying around the Embarcadero/ Fisherman's Wharf or Marina area and you want to go it alone on the cheap you can get the tram (Not the little cable cars The electric streetcars -) From there to The Castro. The line you want is the F line unless it's changed. Then get the Muni bus from there to the Haight. It's a great ride and you see a lot. Golden Gate Park is just a bit further which is awesome. Also don't forget to stop off at The Presidio on your way to the Golden Gate. That is really worth seeing along with Chrissy Field which is a great recreation area. Not many people that haven't been there realise how small San Francisco is: only 48 square miles and 850,000 pop. But's it is incredibly dense and has a "big city" feel. It's easy to see a lot of it in short time. Anything else you want to know about SF just ask.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Floydy It all sounds fantastic. ENJOY
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:29 AM

I'm sure you will love it Floydy.

we did a similar holiday going from east to West but not Boston sadly. We also planned on the helicopter ride up the Grand Canyon but it was cancelled due to snow.Yes, it was snowing, whist up the road in Vegas was 90 deg.

New York is a great place and feels much safer than London. Try the subway if you get the chance, the trains are great (just like the movies). remember though that to travel in the opposite direction, you go up or down a level, not over to the opposite platform as in the UK.

I'm envious mate, you will have a great time.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 10:32 AM

I just remembered the first breakfast we got in the hotel, similar to a full English but with pancakes and syrup. It was so funny hearing all the Brit's complaining that they had not ordered them.

Oh and Floydy, if they ask you if you want 'Links', they mean sausages.... I thought she was saying Linx
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-08-2019, 10:36 AM

I just remembered the Clam chowder in Sourdough bread and I'm suddenly feeling hungry.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi,
Just thought I'd post up a rough plan of my ideas for next year's 'Pension pot' holiday of a lifetime to the USA.

Both need U.S. Visa card for entry to USA.

Luggage: Travel light!
Blimey, now that is really some trip, sounds absolutely fantastic, definitely a trip of a lifetime.

Never been to USA and left my run too late I think. Have a wonderful time, it sounds great.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Yep best avoid The Tenderloin although the locals there kind of look after you and steer you out again if you stray in. It's pretty grim. It makes Kings Cross here (Sydney's "equivalent") look like Mayfair. Haight Ashbury has some good places to go. It's a kind of museum these days with lots of hipsters and gentrified sub areas. Still plenty of weirdos around. Mostly old hippies that have survived with a bit of brain intact. If you're staying around the Embarcadero/ Fisherman's Wharf or Marina area and you want to go it alone on the cheap you can get the tram (Not the little cable cars The electric streetcars -) From there to The Castro. The line you want is the F line unless it's changed. Then get the Muni bus from there to the Haight. It's a great ride and you see a lot. Golden Gate Park is just a bit further which is awesome. Also don't forget to stop off at The Presidio on your way to the Golden Gate. That is really worth seeing along with Chrissy Field which is a great recreation area. Not many people that haven't been there realise how small San Francisco is: only 48 square miles and 850,000 pop. But's it is incredibly dense and has a "big city" feel. It's easy to see a lot of it in short time. Anything else you want to know about SF just ask.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'm sure you will love it Floydy.

we did a similar holiday going from east to West but not Boston sadly. We also planned on the helicopter ride up the Grand Canyon but it was cancelled due to snow.Yes, it was snowing, whist up the road in Vegas was 90 deg.

New York is a great place and feels much safer than London. Try the subway if you get the chance, the trains are great (just like the movies). remember though that to travel in the opposite direction, you go up or down a level, not over to the opposite platform as in the UK.

I'm envious mate, you will have a great time.
This is great lads, I'm frantically making notes of all of this. Thanks for the tips
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

20-08-2019, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
Floydy It all sounds fantastic. ENJOY
Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Blimey, now that is really some trip, sounds absolutely fantastic, definitely a trip of a lifetime.

Never been to USA and left my run too late I think. Have a wonderful time, it sounds great.
Thanks folks, will do

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I just remembered the first breakfast we got in the hotel, similar to a full English but with pancakes and syrup. It was so funny hearing all the Brit's complaining that they had not ordered them.

Oh and Floydy, if they ask you if you want 'Links', they mean sausages.... I thought she was saying Linx
Lol about the sausages - were they trying to say you smelt?!
As long as they don't put one of these Lynx on my plate I don't mind:

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top