Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:24 PM

Tyres

The Son and I set out to Stevenage Yesterday, we had only been on the motorway for five minutes when the son hit some debris on the carriage way. Immediately his tyre pressure warning light indicator came on, so we wasted no time getting onto the hard shoulder. He has one if the new Fiesta STs, which does not have the option of a spare wheel, just a tin of emergency foam, which in this instance was useless, due to the nature of tare in the tyre.
We got out of the car via the passenger side, and called the rescue company, it was cold and raining, and we did not have suitable clothing, It was 9.00am, and we were told because of where we were priority, but rescue could take up to one hour.
As luck would have it, a highways agency 4X4 pulled up, and presented the son and my self with a lightweight disposable bright lemon kagool, (one Each) then went off in search of said debris.
Rather than waste time, we started calling tyre companies for a replacement, it seems as if 205/40ZR18s are as rare as hens teeth, Halfords, no stock, Euromaster, no stock etc etc, if it was in stock the price was £175.00, anyway at 10.00am the AA arrive.
The driver had a universal wheel, which is accompanied by a selection of center bosses to suit all wheel stud configurations, this is bolted to the hub, the universal wheel bolted to it. In the meantime (because we were only 10 miles from home) we had phoned the main suppling dealer, and guess what, no stock, but the AA man said the car would be better off there than at home, so there the car sits now until tomorrow, when, the tyre will be fitted, and, because the journey was on my account, I will be separated from £162.00.
Would have thought it, a car with no spare wheel.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Re: Tyres

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
The Son and I set out to Stevenage Yesterday, we had only been on the motorway for five minutes when the son hit some debris on the carriage way. Immediately his tyre pressure warning light indicator came on, so we wasted no time getting onto the hard shoulder. He has one if the new Fiesta STs, which does not have the option of a spare wheel, just a tin of emergency foam, which in this instance was useless, due to the nature of tare in the tyre.
We got out of the car via the passenger side, and called the rescue company, it was cold and raining, and we did not have suitable clothing, It was 9.00am, and we were told because of where we were priority, but rescue could take up to one hour.
As luck would have it, a highways agency 4X4 pulled up, and presented the son and my self with a lightweight disposable bright lemon kagool, (one Each) then went off in search of said debris.
Rather than waste time, we started calling tyre companies for a replacement, it seems as if 205/40ZR18s are as rare as hens teeth, Halfords, no stock, Euromaster, no stock etc etc, if it was in stock the price was £175.00, anyway at 10.00am the AA arrive.
The driver had a universal wheel, which is accompanied by a selection of center bosses to suit all wheel stud configurations, this is bolted to the hub, the universal wheel bolted to it. In the meantime (because we were only 10 miles from home) we had phoned the main suppling dealer, and guess what, no stock, but the AA man said the car would be better off there than at home, so there the car sits now until tomorrow, when, the tyre will be fitted, and, because the journey was on my account, I will be separated from £162.00.
Annoying isn't it. I also have one of those foam cans and a pump in the boot. i do plan to buy a spare wheel for it when I can. Not only does it save the manufacturers money but it means they can gain a couple of mpg on the stats.

Weirdly, my car has a designated space for a proper spare wheel should I buy one.

Glad you made it home safely though Spit, even if the £162 is still stinging a bit.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

My previous car, I think it was the Agila, also had no spare wheel. I was told more and more newer cars are like that now. The bloke at the garage said I could buy one if I wanted, but there was no where to store it anyway!

It's got to be the most stupid idea yet!

I would always check before I buy now.
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Time to visit a breakers yard and buy a wheel. Our local one charges about £20.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:38 PM

What mean money grabbing big businesses, what will they think of next
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by ray cathode ->
time to visit a breakers yard and buy a wheel. Our local one charges about £20.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-11-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by noolsg ->
What mean money grabbing big businesses, what will they think of next
Removing engines and replacing them with rechargeable lawn mowers...... hang on, they are already doing that.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 01:44 PM

I hate this not having a proper spare wheel carry on, luckily for us Farm Land Rovers do have them, but I would never buy a newer car that didn't have one. The last 3 of my own 4x4s have all carried their spares in the back door. Gawd only knows why they stopped giving a spare with new cars.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	20663703_10212582438651283_8426475091878478009_n.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	10988  
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Annoying isn't it. I also have one of those foam cans and a pump in the boot. i do plan to buy a spare wheel for it when I can. Not only does it save the manufacturers money but it means they can gain a couple of mpg on the stats.

Weirdly, my car has a designated space for a proper spare wheel should I buy one.

Glad you made it home safely though Spit, even if the £162 is still stinging a bit.
Thanks for that LD, where we pulled over was just before an intersection, 30 meters on, the hard shoulder disappeared, so we would have been in trouble then. If we had had a spare, don't think I would have dared to change where we were, the drivers were blasting past in the rain, about a metre away from the car.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2019, 02:55 PM

Last new car we bought a Skoda 2 years ago spare wheel was an option so I bought it 50 quid bargain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top