Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 03:59 PM

Pavement parking could be banned in England

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9396301.html

Pavement parking could be banned across England to help pedestrians, the Department for Transport (DfT) has announced.

Although lorries are banned from parking on pavements, only London prohibits other vehicles from doing so – with motorists who break the rules facing a mixture of criminal and civil sanctions.

The government will start a consultation on whether to grant local authorities more powers to tackle the issue.

The announcement came in response to a report issued by the Transport Select Committee in September 2019 which sought to ban the “blight” of pavement parking throughout England.

Witnesses had told MPs that in some cases pavement parking caused disabled, vulnerable and elderly people to feel trapped, leaving some “afraid to leave their homes”.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: "Vehicles parked on the pavement can cause very real difficulties for many pedestrians. That's why I am taking action to make pavements safer and I will be launching a consultation to find a long-term solution for this complex issue. This will look at a variety of options - including giving local authorities extended powers to crack down on this behaviour."
That's good news but I doubt that much will come of it .....

Thoughtless and inconsiderate parking on pavements, particularly by large SUV drivers, who, apparently, don't like walking, can be the bane of some people's lives .....

The weight of SUVs and large saloons is also highly detrimental to the pavement surface .....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:17 PM

Re: Pavement parking could be banned in England

I thought it already contravened the highway code.....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
So did I but the sooner it's enshrined the better. Better yet, stop everyone from cycling on the footpaths too.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
So did I but the sooner it's enshrined the better. Better yet, stop everyone from cycling on the footpaths too.
Agreed on both points.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Highway Code says:

You MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London, and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it. Parking on the pavement can obstruct and seriously inconvenience pedestrians, people in wheelchairs or with visual impairments and people with prams or pushchairs.
Law GL(GP)A sect 15

Goods vehicles. Vehicles with a maximum laden weight of over 7.5 tonnes (including any trailer) MUST NOT be parked on a verge, pavement or any land situated between carriageways, without police permission. The only exception is when parking is essential for loading and unloading, in which case the vehicle MUST NOT be left unattended.
Law RTA 1988 sect 19
RAC says:

Is it illegal to park on the pavement?

Parking on the pavement

Parking on the pavement is not illegal outside of London. You can, however, still get a fine for doing so in some instances, which makes the law quite a grey area.

Since 1974, Highway Code rule 244 has stated that drivers "MUST NOT park partially or wholly on the pavement in London and should not do so elsewhere unless signs permit it."

The key things to note here are the words must not and should not.

In London, you must not park on the pavement, the must indicating there is legislation behind this rule and you could receive a fine for breaking it.

However, outside of the capital or “elsewhere”, the Highway Code states drivers should not park on the pavement, meaning it is advisory and not, therefore, backed up by any legislation.

Rule 242 is where it gets a little less clear, stating: "You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road."

This is a must not, again, meaning if your car is reported or seen by a police officer and judged to be either in a dangerous position or causing an unnecessary obstruction of the road, you could receive a Fixed Penalty Notice.
I have, on occasion, complained both to the police and the other authorities about careless and inconsiderate parking on local pavements. Sometimes nothing was done but sometimes a FPN was issued and, a few times, vehicles have been towed away .....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:51 PM

People who live in cul-de-sacs have to park half way on the pavements, if they didn't no emergency vehicles could get passed as the roads are so narrow & many homes have more than one car, sometimes three or more & the drives are not big enough for more than one car at a time if the drive is on a slope even worse, some cars can't get on the drive, they bottom out. I know this because my Daughter lives at the end of a cul-de-sac. Personally I'd never choose a house in one, nor one with a sloping drive, but we can't all be as choosy.

In Daughters road they all do it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:54 PM

The problem is that many towns were not made for so many cars and wide cars at that .
Where do people put their cars ?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
The problem is that many towns were not made for so many cars and wide cars at that .
Where do people put their cars ?
Not in their garages that's for sure.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 04:57 PM

Not in their garages that's for sure.
A lot of older houses don't have garages.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2020, 05:01 PM

We live in a Victorian terraced house so have to park on the pavement...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top