Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 05:21 PM

Re: Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Yes that but it depends on the quality of the plaster .... having recently helped renovate a cottage dating back to the 1600s and living in a property dated around 1720 I can tell you there is always lots of preparation.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
you can get long handled rollers
link

https://www.vonhaus.com/vh_en/long-r...RoC9PsQAvD_BwE

far better than me having to come and look after you while your recovering from a fall in bed.

On second thoughts scrub that idea, just call

Realspeed, l have a long handled brush in my garage, that my late mother made.
I think l might give the ceiling a miss, it looks ok!

Thankfully, I survived the trip!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Yes that but it depends on the quality of the plaster .... having recently helped renovate a cottage dating back to the 1600s and living in a property dated around 1720 I can tell you there is always lots of preparation.
Summer, The plaster is fine as the house was built in 1994.
I can imagine what a big task it is in an older place. Any ghosts on hand to help?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Summer, The plaster is fine as the house was built in 1994.
I can imagine what a big task it is in an older place. Any ghosts on hand to help?
I didnt think so Art until recently when one sat on my bed.... honest it did I mentioned it on the ghosts thread. Only happened once though...so I think it decided to leave
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2020, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I didnt think so Art until recently when one sat on my bed.... honest it did I mentioned it on the ghosts thread. Only happened once though...so I think it decided to leave

Good Grief.... and l was only joking!

That is really spooky....
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 06:44 PM

Art, part of my job includes painting the rooms as they become vacant, I really enjoy it, perhaps because I知 not usually disturbed and have my earphones in listening to the radio, recently one of the rooms in the older part of the home was vacated as the lady passed, it possibly Victorian, anyway,it is a big room with high ceilings and wallpapered, so yesterday I started stripping off the paper, which came off surprisingly easily, or rather the first layer did, the other two , well, I値l have to take my steam stripper on Monday, I致e done decorating fo4 many years now, but at I知 doing it fairly regularly, I知 getting good at it, it helps that the care group use three colours, chalky downs,( a magnolia,) and a grey, and what I call snot green, normally I have to fill in the holes in the walls, caused by the beds, wheelchairs or hoist catching the walls, this room, however is going to need a lot of prep work, I値l be doing it all next week...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

03-04-2020, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Art, part of my job includes painting the rooms as they become vacant, I really enjoy it, perhaps because I知 not usually disturbed and have my earphones in listening to the radio, recently one of the rooms in the older part of the home was vacated as the lady passed, it possibly Victorian, anyway,it is a big room with high ceilings and wallpapered, so yesterday I started stripping off the paper, which came off surprisingly easily, or rather the first layer did, the other two , well, I値l have to take my steam stripper on Monday, I致e done decorating fo4 many years now, but at I知 doing it fairly regularly, I知 getting good at it, it helps that the care group use three colours, chalky downs,( a magnolia,) and a grey, and what I call snot green, normally I have to fill in the holes in the walls, caused by the beds, wheelchairs or hoist catching the walls, this room, however is going to need a lot of prep work, I値l be doing it all next week...

Primus, l am really pleased you are enjoying your new job.
The very thought of stripping walls and preparing the walls, fills me with dread.
All l did was brush the spider痴 webs off the walls and painted.
That痴 enough!
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 07:17 PM

Oh yeah...the dreaded perparation before you can lift a brush or roller...
The stripping, cleaning, filling, sanding, more filling and more sanding... and more cleaning...
We renovated houses for a few years and I was chief stripper and decorator. I never liked using a roller, always got covered in paint freckles and also I found it used up a lot more paint than a brush. BTW, If you haven't finished using the roller but have had enough for the day, just cover it in clingfilm, it will be fine to use again even after several days

Loving all the banter in this thread Emusional!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 09:54 PM

Top tip,
Slightly dampen your roller before painting, helps to even out the paint,
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2020, 10:09 PM

Painters And Decorators Deserve A Medal!

Decorators are very modest people Arty, if they were awarded a medal they would wear it 'Under coat'....

Good tip from Primus....
When I'm rolling emulsion I just add a little water into the tray with the paint and mix it in. Only a little bit though (half a cup full) the paint goes on easier and goes further.....Some of the non drip paints are a bit too thick for rolling without the water.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top