Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2020, 11:30 PM

Re: Any serious cooks here ?

Since I retired I spend most of my time cooking BM. I have thousands of recipes and I also love inventing new things. Especially with seafood. And.....

Originally Posted by basser ->
Not a great lover of rice, probably because I find it bland has any body out there got a recipe I could use to tart it up a bit ?

Thai Coconut Rice

Place the amount of rice you want in a saucepan. Add a small can of coconut cream and 1/2 cup cold water and several whole lime leaves. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil over high heat. Stir frequently. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or so or until liquid has absorbed. Using a fork, fluff rice to separate grains. YOu can add some pureed garlic and ginger with a little sugar to suit your taste if you like.
MarciKS
Kansas USA
MarciKS is female  MarciKS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I use the Ken Hom recipe for sweet and sour sauce if that's any good?
We use that where I work for when we have a grill special that calls for it.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Since I retired I spend most of my time cooking BM. I have thousands of recipes and I also love inventing new things. Especially with seafood. And.....

Thai Coconut Rice

Place the amount of rice you want in a saucepan. Add a small can of coconut cream and 1/2 cup cold water and several whole lime leaves. Stir to combine. Bring to the boil over high heat. Stir frequently. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or so or until liquid has absorbed. Using a fork, fluff rice to separate grains. YOu can add some pureed garlic and ginger with a little sugar to suit your taste if you like.
Sounds delicious. Thanks for posting. The only change I would make is to bring the liquid up to a boil BEFORE I add the rice. Immediately turn down to super low heat, cover and cook until rice is tender.
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Yes, as a start, may I suggest that you cook your rice in a nice rich chicken stock ? Barring that, use a chicken bouillon cube.
By happy coincidence I roast a chicken yesterday. I was intending to cook the scraps, bones etc in my slow cooker over night on low for stock. There's only the two of us so we have a small 1.5 litre unit.

Any thought or tips would be appreciated, would it be worth adding a small quantity of carrot, onion etc to enhance the flavour?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Westender ->
By happy coincidence I roast a chicken yesterday. I was intending to cook the scraps, bones etc in my slow cooker over night on low for stock. There's only the two of us so we have a small 1.5 litre unit.

Any thought or tips would be appreciated, would it be worth adding a small quantity of carrot, onion etc to enhance the flavour?
When I cook chicken in my 1.5 litre slow cooker, for a main meal not for stock, I either use fresh onion, carrots, mushrooms and frozen peas or I use vegetables from a frozen casserole mix pack. The result I find is a very tasty dish and for just myself usually makes two meals or more.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 01:39 PM

yes, it definitely would enhance the flavor. However, I'd recommend sautéing them first to a light golden brown. If you have a stick of celery, I'd add that to the sautéed vegetables. Oh, I almost forgot. Add a large bay leaf when you add the water.

"To win a laurel wreath for your brow, put a bay leaf in your stockpot now"
Bakerman 1972
Westender
Sussex, UK
Westender is male  Westender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
yes, it definitely would enhance the flavor. However, I'd recommend sautéing them first to a light golden brown. If you have a stick of celery, I'd add that to the sautéed vegetables. Oh, I almost forgot. Add a large bay leaf when you add the water.

"To win a laurel wreath for your brow, put a bay leaf in your stockpot now"
Bakerman 1972
Superb! I do have some celery, I'll also add the chicken juice's from the roaster and a few black peppercorns.
The juice's have spent the night in a pyrex jug in the fridge, I'll discard the disc of fat at the top.

Thanks Bakerman!
bakerman
Mexico

13-04-2020, 02:04 PM

Superb! I do have some celery, I'll also add the chicken juice's from the roaster and a few black peppercorns.
The juice's have spent the night in a pyrex jug in the fridge, I'll discard the disc of fat at the top.

Thanks Bakerman!
You're quite welcome. Any future questions at any time.
Westender
Sussex, UK

13-04-2020, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
When I cook chicken in my 1.5 litre slow cooker, for a main meal not for stock, I either use fresh onion, carrots, mushrooms and frozen peas or I use vegetables from a frozen casserole mix pack. The result I find is a very tasty dish and for just myself usually makes two meals or more.
Cheers Baz!
I have to say I enjoy using a slow cooker. If I say so myself I've had some fine results using cheap cuts of beef and strong ruby ale.
Very tasty indeed.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top