Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 03:22 AM

Pickles

Does anybody make their own pickles?..I love cooking but this is something that I haven't done before. I could always Google it but this is more fun. Any great recipes out there?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 04:50 AM

Re: Pickles

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Does anybody make their own pickles?..I love cooking but this is something that I haven't done before. I could always Google it but this is more fun. Any great recipes out there?

I always make my own pickles, relishes and chutneys, Keezoy and will happily share recipes. Was there something in particular you wanted to make?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I always make my own pickles, relishes and chutneys, Keezoy and will happily share recipes. Was there something in particular you wanted to make?
Yes, and I also have a recipe for pickled vegetables.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 06:55 AM

Thanks you 2. Any vegies really. Probably cabbages, cucumbers, cauliflower etc. Any recipes you feel like posting will be appreciated.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 07:29 AM

This is one of my favourites - Sweet Corn Relish.

Makes two jars
Takes 35-40 minutes
Keeps 3 months

Ingredients
:-

4 sweet corn cobs
2 medium peppers (either 2 red or 1 red and 1 green)
2 finely sliced sticks of celery
1 finely sliced and deseeded red chilli (optional)
1 finely sliced medium onion
450ml white wine vinegar
225 grm granulated white sugar
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp mustard powder
Half tsp turmeric

Method :-

Strip the corn kernels from the cobs and blanch in boiling water for 2 mins. Drain well.

Put the corn and all the other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil - stirring well to dissolve the sugar.

Simmer for 20mins or until the mixture has thickened and there is very little liquid left. The relish should be a spoonable consistency and wetter than a chutney

Spoon into warm sterilized jars and seal.

Relishes do not need to mature like chutneys - can be eaten straight away - this one goes well with cold meat/chicken and salad.

I can recommend the following book:-
The Preserving Book by Lynda Brown,
Packed with great recipes, hints and tips.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Preserv...s%2C832&sr=1-1
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2020, 08:02 AM

I make pickled onions every year, usually, six weeks before Christmas. Homemade ones are nice and crunchy!

In the past, l have made pickled red cabbage.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the recipe Tabby

Quick question - once one has finished eating the pickled items, is it worthwhile reusing the remaining pickling liquid to pickle something else? Not that I'm a tight fisted git, but was wondering if the liquid will have taken on some of the flavour of the old veg which might enhance a new (possibly different) one?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

26-04-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Thanks for the recipe Tabby

Quick question - once one has finished eating the pickled items, is it worthwhile reusing the remaining pickling liquid to pickle something else? Not that I'm a tight fisted git, but was wondering if the liquid will have taken on some of the flavour of the old veg which might enhance a new (possibly different) one?
You would need to boil it first - to remove bacteria.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2020, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You would need to boil it first - to remove bacteria.
Ah!! Not going to argue, nor bite the hand that feeds, but would there be any bacteria in a pickling liquid? I thought part of the deal was that it keeps veg "fresh" and safe to eat by killing the bacteria as part of the process.

Just saying
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

26-04-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Ah!! Not going to argue, nor bite the hand that feeds, but would there be any bacteria in a pickling liquid? I thought part of the deal was that it keeps veg "fresh" and safe to eat by killing the bacteria as part of the process.

Just saying
Pickling fluid is supposed to preserve and, as most of it is based on vinegar of various kinds, it does - but - once the jar has been opened it becomes as vulnerable to outside influences as other foods. You might be OK to use it as is - but I would prefer to play safe and bring it to the boil first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top