Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 04:12 PM

workshop bench cleanup

My workshop bench was getting a bit full so decided about time I did something about it.

As I had a decent plank of wood left over from the porch project that was ideal for a shelf. All it needed was a support for each end. Again I had some 4x2 in the back so cut them to size 10" long. Now I had my support and also found some right angle pieces of metal left over from something or other, ideal for the purpose. Put it all together and fixed to back wood wall . It can be seen in the photo below.

Hang about me thinks ,the main work area is soaked with oil etc etc you name it really oooky. So what about cleaning it?

Thinks , swap it over with the ledge underneath or one from other side, thats a lot of trouble to go through. Ahha turn it over, erm no that underside is worse. By another sheet of 8x3ft chipboard,cost and getting hold of when?

not a good idea. Stupid me I have a very good flat electric belt sander should have thought of that first

Well it worked. No longer dirty work bench and most of the oil etc marks gone

looking almost like new again. Belt sander at the far end
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Re: workshop bench cleanup

Excellent job Realspeed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Excellent job Realspeed
Thank you, better still it cost nothing but a bit of time

before

Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 05:38 PM

Nice job rs, I’d be tempted to paint or seal it
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2020, 07:56 PM

Excellent!
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 12:22 PM

I used to work in a large factory

In the fitters workshop the bench tops were made from substantial planks of wood
They nailed on sheets of hardboard, and just replaced them when they became too dirty or worn
PSXtreme
Missouri, United States
PSXtreme is male 

03-05-2020, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Nice job rs, I’d be tempted to paint or seal it
That would be my thought too. At least lay down a sheet of clear laminate or a thick coat of Polyurethane.

No reason to let time take away the results of a good job.
rcs60h
Bedfordshire, UK
rcs60h is male  rcs60h has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 03:46 PM

How about a space saver for your shelves, save up and clean used screw top jars then drill a hole in the middle of the lid and screw it to the underside of the shelf. The jars could be used for screws, nails or any sort of odds and sods and then just attach them to the lids. They are out of the way but you can see exactly what is in them.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

03-05-2020, 04:26 PM

Thanks for the helpful tips. The worktop bench shown are a good few years old (somewhere around 15 years old at least we think ). So should be good for the same amount of time again. Also got another bench opposite still unmarked used for the tools. so bench space no problem

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top