Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 03:02 PM

workshop error and fix on Bench grinder

The object of the exercise was to remove one grinding course grit stone and replace it with a wire brush shown below

First the balls up mistakes I made.

1- didn't check the centre hole size
2- Didn't check the spindle length

The fix

The wire brush was too close the the grinder body so had to make up a spacer. Found a bit of metal tube about the same bore size so had to cut that down and ream out a bit at the end in the centre , The shaft was in two sizes , one for the actual grinding wheel and larger to act as a stop . Eventually managed to get my metal sleeve to fit slightly over the larger bit and after a lot of filing so the sleeve ends level.

Now it fitted but still had to line up the wire brush centre with the indented disc plates either side. First attempt well out of balance and the grinder body loosened from its support.
Ok take off the bench grinder and open up underneath to find one fixing screw was loose. Re bolted grinder to the bench and start the balancing again. I could have avoided this by getting the right size centre hole in the first place.

Test again and it worked. So why go to all this trouble? now I can spend time during lockdown to clean up a few tools

Half done to show what the difference is

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top