Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 01:29 PM

Re: Is BBC4 Going To Be Axed?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They have some excellent and very educational programmes. They should simply introduce advertising. I don't see why axe a brilliant station rather than take that step.
The Beeb does enough self-advertising as it is without it taking on a commercial agreement for the TV side of things. Just for info, here is a list of all national BBC TV and radio stations:

BBC Alba, BBC Alba HD, BBC 1, BBC 1HD, BBC 2, BBC 2HD, BBC 4, BBC 4HD, BBC News, BBC News HD, BBC Parliament, BBC Parliament HD, CBBC, CBBC HD, CBeebies.

BBC Asian Network, Radio 1, Radio 1Xtra, Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio 4, Radio 4 Extra, Radio 5 Live, Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, Radio 6 Music, World Service (paid for, at least in part, by the FCO).

In addition to all of these there are 12 international BBC TV channels, 20 local TV stations (e.g. BBC 1 West Midlands), 48 local radio stations (e.g. BBC WM) and 7 UKTV channels (e.g. Dave, etc), which are run by BBC Studios so do not come under the license fees.

I got all of the above from Wiki and I think more than a third can be combined - especially the local radio stations - to reduce costs.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 08:54 PM

Blimey Percy! They seem to have a monopoly on broadcasting....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Those dramas could quite easily be shown on BBC4 along with the other (usually) excellent content on that channel. I'm referring more to stuff like the awful soap(s), inane quiz shows and pointless competitions such as `Strictly` and the Voice. All of these could be shown on BBC3. BBC2 content can be split between Beebs 3 & 4.
I thought BBC3 was gone?

Do they have inane quiz shows on BBC these days? I used to love blankety blank with Terry Wogan. They have some good stuff like have I got news for you. I thought some of the men here would like a Question of Sport. University challenge is a classic. As is mastermind.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I thought BBC3 was gone?

Do they have inane quiz shows on BBC these days? I used to love blankety blank with Terry Wogan. They have some good stuff like have I got news for you. I thought some of the men here would like a Question of Sport. University challenge is a classic. As is mastermind.
BBC3 is a streaming/online channel designed specifically for Da Yoof init.

Pointless (very apt name), House of Games to name but two. Three if you include AQOS.

Uni-Challenge and Connect, for the more cerebrally minded, are on BBC2. MM was originally on Beeb 2 but was poached and put on BBC1.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2020, 08:48 PM

BBC3 is a streaming/online channel designed specifically for Da Yoof init.

Pointless (very apt name), House of Games to name but two. Three if you include AQOS.

Uni-Challenge and Connect, for the more cerebrally minded, are on BBC2. MM was originally on Beeb 2 but was poached and put on BBC1.
I haven't figured out how that works......
Far too high brow for me.......
I'd like to spend the night with Victoria Coren/Mitchell though....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Get to the back of the queue - it's about half a mile away.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-05-2020, 11:30 AM

Get to the back of the queue - it's about half a mile away.
Queues are the name of the game just lately Judd, I'd be happy to take my place at the back.....It's more than just looks, there is something strangely attractive about her....

Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

We've watched every single episode of Only Connect and rarely score more than about 4 or 5 points between us

As for spending the night with Victoria - probably for the repartee but nowt else thanks.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
As for spending the night with Victoria - probably for the repartee but nowt else thanks.
I've mostly seen Victoria Coren Mitchell as a guest presenter on HIGNFY - to me, she comes across as a self-absorbed, sweaty, chubster just like her husband .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-05-2020, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We've watched every single episode of Only Connect and rarely score more than about 4 or 5 points between us

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I've mostly seen Victoria Coren Mitchell as a guest presenter on HIGNFY - to me, she comes across as a self-absorbed, sweaty, chubster just like her husband .....
Well it will never happen so it's purely an academic suggestion anyway....
Perhaps should the situation arise where it would be possible to spend the night with Victoria or any other woman, I would probably decline the offer......And put some toast under the grill....I love toast more than Victoria....

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top