Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2020, 09:59 PM

Re: Baby Blue Tits waiting to be fed

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Pesta they are so entertaining, I don't know how many baby birds there are but think they must take it in turns to stand on each other and peep out

There is a lot of squeaking then one appears looking huffy.
Aaah -

I bet it's lovely hearing and watching them growing up. Must be like having kids - checking if they're all ok.

I know I'd be trotting to look at them all the time.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 12:44 AM

You are so lucky having them nest close by Meg, where you can obseve everything from the beginning to them leaving home.
Lovely pictures too.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Good photos Meg ..and also good to have the box chosen for a nest and be close enough to watch them.

Wasps built a nest in a box I put up years ago and I haven't tried it since.

We once had Blue Tits nest in the larder vent. Every time we opened the larder door the chicks would start cheeping. Then one day, it stopped happening. The chicks had flown the nest. It was surprisingly sudden.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You are so lucky having them nest close by Meg, where you can obseve everything from the beginning to them leaving home.
Lovely pictures too.
Originally Posted by mart ->
Good photos Meg ..and also good to have the box chosen for a nest and be close enough to watch them.

Wasps built a nest in a box I put up years ago and I haven't tried it since.

We once had Blue Tits nest in the larder vent. Every time we opened the larder door the chicks would start cheeping. Then one day, it stopped happening. The chicks had flown the nest. It was surprisingly sudden.
Thank you both

Mart that seems an odd place to nest, a bit draughty

I am feeling a bit concerned this morning, the baby birds were in the box just after dawn and when I looked later there was one starling standing on the nest box with its head inside and another a few feet away om the washing line .

I hope some of the babies made it to freedom...
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Fascinating little birds who work non-stop when feeding their young. Lucky you and thanks for sharing.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 09:23 AM

Thank you both

Mart that seems an odd place to nest, a bit draughty

I am feeling a bit concerned this morning, the baby birds were in the box just after dawn and when I looked later there was one starling standing on the nest box with its head inside and another a few feet away om the washing line .

I hope some of the babies made it to freedom...
I hope so too Meg. I read Starlings can be aggressive but mostly with the eggs rather than chicks. The Blue Tits might have flown the nest and the starlings are taking over the box afterwards.

The birds in the photo look quite well fledged. If big enough to poke their heads out of the box and start looking around, perhaps they were/are about ready to take the plunge.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 10:29 AM

Meg, What a lovely sight for you. Blue Tits are such pretty little birds.

The pic, with the bird looking very cross reminded me of one of those ‘face in the hole’ things you see on holiday or theme parks.

Why not draw a neck, a dress and legs on the front for mummy blue tit?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Fascinating little birds who work non-stop when feeding their young. Lucky you and thanks for sharing.
Hi Cinders yes the parent birds have worked tirelessly for weeks feeding from dawn till dusk.
Originally Posted by mart ->
I hope so too Meg. I read Starlings can be aggressive but mostly with the eggs rather than chicks. The Blue Tits might have flown the nest and the starlings are taking over the box afterwards.

The birds in the photo look quite well fledged. If big enough to poke their heads out of the box and start looking around, perhaps they were/are about ready to take the plunge.
Mart it is just life isn't it, some survive some don't we just have to enjoy those who do .

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Meg, What a lovely sight for you. Blue Tits are such pretty little birds.

The pic, with the bird looking very cross reminded me of one of those ‘face in the hole’ things you see on holiday or theme parks.

Why not draw a neck, a dress and legs on the front for mummy blue tit?
Art it does look like one of those things and the little birds did seem very cross yesterday waiting for their dinner.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2020, 12:03 PM

Where is my dinner...

Super photo's, Meg.

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Great pictures Meg the blue tits don’t like my nest Boxes either !
The birds don't like my boxes either this year. Did see a Blue tit examining one, but it flew off, never to come back. They have nested there in other years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

28-05-2020, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Super photo's, Meg.

The birds don't like my boxes either this year. Did see a Blue tit examining one, but it flew off, never to come back. They have nested there in other years.
Thank you Tiffany I only have an ancient basic camera a gift from my son when he got his first job .

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top