Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 03:49 PM

Re: Water Bills

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
May work well for some but a blanket statement like that could bankrupt some of us.
We have washing machine on twice or three times a day, 3 or 4 showers a day, bathing the dogs, washing up 3 times a day. No I think we would be paying more if we had one fitted.
Try contacting your Water Authority Julie - they may well do what others do now and allow you to try a water meter and, if you are not happy they'll leave it place in but it won't be configured so you'll be un-metered again.

That's what Anglian Water told us but they also gave us estimates of possible savings too.

No harm in asking is there? stevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2014, 11:17 PM

I was thinking of having a water meter fitted as I live alone. After talking it over with me sisters though we decided against it in case I want to sell the house - it could put off potential heavy water users.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 01:00 AM

I believe if you leave the next owners will have to have a water meter fitted.
Check it out.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 03:56 AM

Very interesting to hear how you pay for water. In NSW you pay for sewage at the same time to the water board however over the last 30 years a lot has changed.

Raw sewage is now treated and no longer just pumped a few Kms off shore as it used to be , in fact locally the steel works buys the tertiary treated effluent for cooling water.

Drinking water has been on a meter for donkey's years but until recently it was less than a dollar a Kilolitre but after the last drought the state government panicked into building a desal plant (which is now turned off and won't be needed for years even if it never rained again) so now our water costs about $2 (£1) a kilolitre. BTW it is also filtered because being as Australia is made of iron ore and people used to complain that after rain when the dams were stirred up the water used to stain their clothes brown so they had to wash it again.

However my combined water and sewage bill is $85 (£43) a quarter but that is including my pensioner discount - if I was paying the full price it would be about $240 (£120) a quarter.

To be honest I don't think that is too bad.

BTW this is the case around Sydney, Wollongong, Blue Mountains area other communities get their water from different sources such as rivers or bores so their charges are different.
sue_arnold
UK
sue_arnold is female  sue_arnold has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had a bad experience with a water meter in a property we had in Dorset. There was a leak between the meter which was by the gate and the house . This was in 1978 and the bill came to over £1000 which we had to pay. There was no indication of a leak, the first we knew about it was when the bill came in .
You could over come this by having a WM fitted in the house.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2014, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I had a bad experience with a water meter in a property we had in Dorset. There was a leak between the meter which was by the gate and the house . This was in 1978 and the bill came to over £1000 which we had to pay. There was no indication of a leak, the first we knew about it was when the bill came in .
My meter is on the property line (as they all are - for the convenience of the reader) but every so often I check the meter is not moving when all the taps are shut. It is not an arduous task.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 06:19 PM

I've now gone through our Water Bills since 2008 and found that our latest bill claims we've used nearly 30% more water - so I'm querying that with Anglian Water and i want them to check our meter.

We are creatures of habit and, year-on-year we've used almost exactly the same amount of water annually for 4 years so I don't understand this 2013 - 2014 'blip' at all.

Yes, we have a garden, which we do care for and grow our own vegetables, but we have four water butts and use that accumulated reserve to water sparingly if necessary when near-drought conditions occur, which can be annually for us here in Milton Keynes and I do mean sparingly as most plants can cope with a damn sight less water than you'd think!

We NEVER, EVER use tap water so I cannot see how our water consumption can possibly have increased by almost 30% in in one year!

It'll be interesting to see the response from Anglian Water - especially since I've informed them I've sent copies of my email to Ofwat and my MP. stevmk2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

25-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I've now gone through our Water Bills since 2008 and found that our latest bill claims we've used nearly 30% more water - so I'm querying that with Anglian Water and i want them to check our meter.
Have you tried what I suggested in the previous post? Just make sure all the water in the house is off then note the reading when you go out, recheck when you come back (obviously the longer the better) if it has moved then you have a leak somewhere.

I found a leak under the house that way due to a split copper pipe. Worth checking yourself rather than waiting for your water company to do exactly the same thing.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2014, 11:37 PM

My bill says it's from 09/08/13 to 14/01/14 that's 5 months (odd number) it's £56 for water and £71 sewerage including standing charges of £18 for water and £23 for sewerage. I have no idea whether that's a lot but seems more than before I had meter! I paid £48 pm approx for both when we were in a larger house without a meter. Anyone good at maths?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

26-01-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
My bill says it's from 09/08/13 to 14/01/14 that's 5 months (odd number) it's £56 for water and £71 sewerage including standing charges of £18 for water and £23 for sewerage. I have no idea whether that's a lot but seems more than before I had meter! I paid £48 pm approx for both when we were in a larger house without a meter. Anyone good at maths?
Is that the total for those 5 months Twizard?

If it is, and includes Tax, it works out to about £25 per month, which is near enough to what we were on @ £26 per month for the latter half of the year.

On our bill though it showed that we were no longer in Credit so they've increased the monthly DD to £36 from March of this year to claw-back the £60 'arrears'.

That's what I'm asking them about now - why are we now apparently using almost 30% more water than the last 4 years when nothing has actually changed to cause that increased water consumption! stevmk2

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top