Join for free
Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 11:06 PM

Re: Caught at last

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
My sat nav uses gps and shows the actual speed, so if I’m doing 70 mph on the sat nav it’s reading 67 or 8 on the speedo
Sounds the wrong way round Primus.

It was our Sat Nav that proved that our speedo was set 3mpm faster than our actual speed. i.e. If the Sat Nav shows speed as 70mph the speedo will be showing 73mph.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2019, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I've wondered about this often.

Here's what I figure.

Firstly, most cars have their speedometers set to be 2-3 mph faster than you are actually going. So if your speedo says you are doing 73mph, you are really only doing 70mph.

Secondly, when police calibrate their speed detector equipment at the start of each day they SURELY are making sure that it records ACTUAL SPEED.

So if it shows a car travelling at 70mph, then that car REALLY IS doing 70mph actual speed no matter what the car speedo says.

Thirdly, the police generally allow cars to go at the speed limit plus 10% plus 2mph.

So in a 30mph zone, you can be doing 30+3+2 = 35mph.

On a motorway you can do 70 + 7 + 2 = 79mph.

Putting all this together means that when looking at your speedometer you can go much faster than the speed limit.

For example, on a motorway, if the police won't stop you at ACTUAL speeds of up to 79mph then you can drive with your speedo showing 82mph (assuming it shows 3mph over actual).

This explains why, when you are on the motorway in those long stretches of 50mph limit roadworks, there are people whizzing past you all the time. You may think they are going to get speeding tickets but they won't.

If you are sitting there at what appears to be 50mph on your speedo you are actually only doing 47-48mph.

In a 50mph limit (and if police allow 10% + 2mph) then you can do 57mph before they will give you a ticket. That means on your speedo you can do what appears to be 59-60mph.

Things have changed somewhat though in the last year or so because speeding has been outsourced/subcontracted to private firms who have now created a multi-million pound business with speed awareness courses.

These private firms ARE NOT the police and WILL stop you at speeds just over the speed limit. Therein lies the problem now. I believe they would ticket you at speeds of 33mph and up in a 30mph zone.
That all sounds convincing.

However, I find the idea of private firms being allowed to stop drivers, who they believe are speeding, disconcerting.

That's the first I have heard of non-police officers being allowed to stop and prosecute for speeding.

A couple of questions come to mind:

If you refuse to stop, what can they do? Pursue you? Undertake a 'tactical stop'?

If they stop you, are you obliged to give your details or provide ID?

It also occurs to me that as the government has decimated police numbers, they are trying to do the job on the cheap by employing civilian operatives, a bit like 'plastic policepersons'!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:21 AM

They don't stop you, you just get an unexpected NIP in the post.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
They don't stop you, you just get an unexpected NIP in the post.
What sort of proof do they have to offer?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2019, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What sort of proof do they have to offer?
Yeah sorry JBR you misunderstood this one.

The private firms roam the streets in detector camera vans and park up in convenient places where they simply use laser equipment and camera to record your speed and take your photo.

If they deem you to have been speeding they don't stop you, they just report your offence and the first you know about it is the NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) that lands on your doormat. It gives you 14 days I think to declare the driver and decide whether to go on a course or take the fine.

They are scumbags, plain and simple.

They don't care if you're doing 33, 34, 35 or more mph in a 30mph zone. To them you're simply another customer for a £90 speed awareness course. The courses can take about 25 people and they are run on a daily basis.
So they catch as many people as they need to keep those daily places filled up.

Nice work if you can get it . . . !
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2019, 11:23 AM

Yeah sorry JBR you misunderstood this one.

The private firms roam the streets in detector camera vans and park up in convenient places where they simply use laser equipment and camera to record your speed and take your photo.

If they deem you to have been speeding they don't stop you, they just report your offence and the first you know about it is the NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) that lands on your doormat. It gives you 14 days I think to declare the driver and decide whether to go on a course or take the fine.

They are scumbags, plain and simple.

They don't care if you're doing 33, 34, 35 or more mph in a 30mph zone. To them you're simply another customer for a £90 speed awareness course. The courses can take about 25 people and they are run on a daily basis.
So they catch as many people as they need to keep those daily places filled up.

Nice work if you can get it . . . !
"But I wasn't driving. I was at home that day. Yes, my car's outside right now. I think it must have been some joy riders who 'borrowed' my car. They've even brought it back in good condition. No, I didn't bother to call the police as I didn't notice it was missing, and in any event there aren't any police any more."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2019, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
"But I wasn't driving. I was at home that day. Yes, my car's outside right now. I think it must have been some joy riders who 'borrowed' my car. They've even brought it back in good condition. No, I didn't bother to call the police as I didn't notice it was missing, and in any event there aren't any police any more."
Unfortunately sir we have photos of the car as it came towards us travelling at 35mph and it clearly shows you are the driver. Therefore you are being issued with a speeding NIP and now, I am adding Perverting The Course of Justice to this. Have a nice day.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2019, 11:54 AM

Unfortunately sir we have photos of the car as it came towards us travelling at 35mph and it clearly shows you are the driver. Therefore you are being issued with a speeding NIP and now, I am adding Perverting The Course of Justice to this. Have a nice day.
"Nonsense! That looks nothing like me. I'm much more handsome than that thieving b@st@rd."
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

11-01-2019, 12:08 PM

You are free to contest your case in court sir where the jury will be given copies of our photos. We will also supoena details of your mobile phone movements which I am sure will confirm that the device was with you in the car. You could end up spending a considerable amount of money on lawyers and court fees for what is otherwise just a simple £100 speeding ticket.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

11-01-2019, 01:03 PM

You are free to contest your case in court sir where the jury will be given copies of our photos. We will also supoena details of your mobile phone movements which I am sure will confirm that the device was with you in the car. You could end up spending a considerable amount of money on lawyers and court fees for what is otherwise just a simple £100 speeding ticket.
"I don't have a mobile phone; I can't afford one. In fact, I have so little money that I shall be obliged to claim legal support and shall certainly be unable to pay any fines you seem to want me to cough up. If you prefer to push the matter further, I shall be pleased to go to prison and have a nice warm bed and free meals, both of which I cannot afford right now."

Page 4 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top