Join for free
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2020, 11:04 PM

2 year old toddler alone

Oakland County, California.

A child protective services officer was doing a routine home visit to check up on a 2 year old toddler. The officer knocked on the door but there was no answer. She, the officer, called one of the child's relatives and that lady hurried right over.

The two women went from window to window and peered in. Finally they saw the grandmother (the primary care person) lying motionless in a hallway. They helped each other climb in through a window and quickly located the 2 year old child playing with her toys as if nothing was wrong. Unfortunately the grandmother had passed away. The City Coroner was called and they said that apparently the grandmother had been dead for 18 hours and died of natural causes.

Thank heavens that children's protective service went there when they did. I have no idea how long a 2 year-old can survive without any food/water but I doubt it is very long.

Something about that story got to me. Poor, poor baby.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:17 AM

Re: 2 year old toddler alone

There must be more to this story Bakerman.
Over here, you wouldn't get a child protection officer checking up on a child for no reason.
A baby that age would have probably been crying at some point, either from cold, hunger, fear, or soiled nappy, so were there no neighbours to hear this?

I am glad the baby was alright of course, but like I said, there must be more to it.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:23 AM

BM said that it was a routine visit so perhaps it was scheduled?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
BM said that it was a routine visit so perhaps it was scheduled?

I know he did, Judd.
But I wouldn't have thought a child protection officer would make a 'routine' visit without history of some sort.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2020, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There must be more to this story Bakerman.
Over here, you wouldn't get a child protection officer checking up on a child for no reason.
A baby that age would have probably been crying at some point, either from cold, hunger, fear, or soiled nappy, so were there no neighbours to hear this?

I am glad the baby was alright of course, but like I said, there must be more to it.
The article did not give any more info.
I think it is likely that since the MOTHER was NOT the primary care person, it could be that she ran afoul of the law re: child abuse ? If so, that would get children's protective services involved. Over here, CPS makes UNANNOUNCED home visits, IF they are already involved.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

13-12-2020, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
The article did not give any more info.
I think it is likely that since the MOTHER was NOT the primary care person, it could be that she ran afoul of the law re: child abuse ? If so, that would get children's protective services involved. Over here, CPS makes UNANNOUNCED home visits, IF they are already involved.

I agree Bakerman, and that's what I meant when I said there must be some history there for them to make a 'routine' check up in the first place.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top