Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 04:36 PM

To my shame...

I witnessed a theft this afternoon & didn't report it.

I was in the local chemist idly browsing the shelves while I waited for my prescription.

In walks a workman in his overalls and hands over a prescription to the counter assistant.
With nobody at the counter & myself being the only other person in the shop I saw his hand reach out to the counter display & quickly drop some reading glasses in his overall pocket.

I couldn't quite believe my eyes. I wanted to tell the shop assistant but was afraid of the fuss it would cause.

He calmly collected his item & strolled out of the shop looking so innocent.

I collected mine & walked out of the shop after him.

I should have told the shop keeper, but if I had I wonder what they would have done.

What would you have done?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 04:37 PM

Re: To my shame...

Told the shop assistant what I'd seen. Does the pharmacy have CCTV?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 04:40 PM

I don't think it has CCTV camera..

The shop assistant was only a young Chinese girl.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I witnessed a theft this afternoon & didn't report it.

I was in the local chemist idly browsing the shelves while I waited for my prescription.

In walks a workman in his overalls and hands over a prescription to the counter assistant.
With nobody at the counter & myself being the only other person in the shop I saw his hand reach out to the counter display & quickly drop some reading glasses in his overall pocket.

I couldn't quite believe my eyes. I wanted to tell the shop assistant but was afraid of the fuss it would cause.

He calmly collected his item & strolled out of the shop looking so innocent.

I collected mine & walked out of the shop after him.

I should have told the shop keeper, but if I had I wonder what they would have done.

What would you have done?

To my “ shame”..really?

You couldn’t have proven nought anyway...unless it was captured on cctv...

Shoplifting is rife in this part of the world...especially Lidl...none of my business..

I have reported in the past..I wouldn’t do it again.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 05:00 PM

What would I have done?

NOTHING

None of my business apart from which it is quite possible it could have been a 3.14key who could find out who grassed him up and taken "remedial" action.

Best by far to keep snout out these days.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 05:02 PM

I don't think it has CCTV camera..

The shop assistant was only a young Chinese girl.
I can understand your concern, anxiety even had you confronted the thief. I think all you could would be to let the shop manager sort it out without your name being mentioned.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

29-06-2021, 05:03 PM

Well yes Pauline - shame.

Maybe not serious shame but I did feel ashamed of myself for letting him get away with it.

I imagine the 'proof' was when he was asked to turn his pockets out.

But who would ask him? The Chinese girl assistant was only a petite little thing & the pharmacist I could see in the background was just a skinny young man.

I bet they wouldn't have dared tackle him anyway.

I just hate thieving & don't like the fact that I saw him & let him get away with it..
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 05:05 PM

Maybe not serious shame but I did feel ashamed of myself for letting him get away with it.

But who would ask him? The Chinese girl assistant was only a petite little thing & the pharmacist I could see in the background was just a skinny young man.

I just hate thieving & don't like the fact that I saw him & let him get away with it..

Well, I’m just glad I don’t feel “ shame” like you Carol.

In fact I don’t feel shame!..,,ever,!..in the past 30 years.

As TAT..replied...keep ones snout out of it..
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2021, 05:07 PM

But not your business or your problem!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

29-06-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Well, I’m just glad I don’t feel “ shame” like you Carol.

In fact I don’t feel shame!..,,ever,!..in the past 30 years.
Damn right too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top