Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-07-2014, 09:56 PM

Re: Your first home together

He must have wore a rut in the road Gypsy

AC..your Bungalow sounded very pretty ,im glad you have happy memories of it .
Thank you both for posting
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-07-2014, 11:30 PM

The first home we shared together was a rented property. We didn't have 2 halfpennies to rub together and we lived there while we saved to buy our own house. That rented house was awful. It had no bathroom and not even a proper toilet. It was a pan lavatory at the bottom of the garden and a special vehicle used to come in the night to empty it. Would you believe this was in the so called swinging sixties?

Rented houses were so hard to get in those days. It was either live there or with members of my family which we'd tried and it hadn't worked out.
We managed to save a deposit to buy our own home after 2 years of hard sacrifice and it was worth it.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 02:38 PM

Thanks for posting Carol ,it was in the Seventies when i got my first home with bathroom and inside toilet .To me it didnt feel right to have a toilet in the house still dont.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Yes I do, a one bed flat on the side of a busy road,but at that point I was happy.....
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

25-07-2014, 04:52 PM

Hi Jean,good to know your first home brought you happiness,thanks for posting,
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 06:05 PM

The first place we bought was a flat, it was on the top floor of three (six units altogether), it was right on the edge of the city, so, on a summers evening, you could look out of the lounge window, uninterrupted views of the countryside, on a dark winter evening you could look out of the kitchen window, and see the neon lights on the tall buildings in the city.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

25-07-2014, 07:16 PM

Spitfire that sounds perfect to me,i miss the views most from the house i just moved from.
Thanks for posting,
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 08:44 AM

My first independent home with my first wife was a tiny flat in Windsor in 1967. For the princely sum of 21/- per week (£1.05p for those who don't remember pre-decimal currency - or real money as I call it) we had a bedroom and a living room/kitchen in an old victorian house. We loved it as it was very handy for The Ricky Tick Club where we went to see The Stones, Yardbirds, Pretty Things, Manfred Mann etc weekly as well as playing at the Folk Club held at the same venue. Our only problem was with our downstairs neighbour who, unfortunately was a paranoid schizophrenic who thought we were trying to kill him with our constant drumming (??). We eventually realised that the "drumming" was the noise from our old typewriter (we were both at university and writing essays non-stop) and a cushion under the machine soon cured the problem. If he had been complaining about us playing loud music, we could have understood, but typing???
Eliza
Chatterbox
England

26-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Hi MickB, The Ricky Tick Club sounded the place to be , some famous groups you mention there.
Shame about the neighbour being disturbed by your typing ,Everyday noises can be as annoying when its repetitive i guess..
thanks for posting
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2014, 05:57 PM

I remember my first house very well 1981 and a 4 bed terrace in Headingley.It was `home` even though on test match days-and rugby we had to park on the allotments until folk went home.

Cost?-£17,950,mortgage rate? somewhere around 13%-times have changed

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top