Join for free
Page 322 of 370 « First < 222 272 312 320 321 322 323 324 332 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2019, 05:20 AM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Floydy, it's unfortunate, in this case, to have a new member in the form of Mr. Hassle joining us on this thread. I wish him a speedy departure!

Yes, I was a bit confusing in the mention of retirement. I was referring to plans that would prepare you for reduced hours and more enjoyment with your wife at 60.

Staying fit, Floydy. I hear you. How in the world can one maintain fitness with such an injury ? I suppose that concernis best offset with some light walking and a really healthy diet. What about a plan to keep yourself especially fit from the inside out for now? After all, you have the luxury of time to find recipes, try something new, shop, plan and prepare especially healthy meals.

Which, at the mention of food, leads us to OGF who is currently huddled over a bowl of steaming soup and decked out in layers...

No one paints a picture of running better than you, and I can just imagine you there all nice and cozy after dodging what could have been a running shoe disaster. That's great feeling though, that ominous foreboding of an impending storm, and despite a pace that left you less than satisfied, you outran nature in more than one way!

While it was not quite the scene of Snow White with all the little animals scurrying at my feet (now there is some fiction for you ), it was a busy day at the sportsplex with little pig-tailed girls playing soccer (football), and the older boys and girls playing softball. As much as I enjoy the sound of wildlife, there really isn't anything more delightful than the overall din of happy, free kids. They ran like lightning, while I ran like mud, but isn't it just something to be old enough to appreciate all the wonders of youth.

Kids: Approximately 97 miles each. Me: 5.5
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2019, 03:51 PM

With another 1,000 on my faithful little Acura, I have landed in Oz (that's Kansas, to you Aussies ) and after the body-stiffening fifteen-hour drive, couldn't wait to get out and loosen things up a little.

Kansas is as flat as a pancake, but as the remains of a great inland sea, the soil is rich and once the breadbasket of the world, provides grains to the entire world. With harvest now past, the fields are barren but the trees are lush and provide long, tunneled canopies for shady running.

With cargo trains crowing like roosters in the far-off distance, I lit off before most anyone else was awake, including the usually noisy neighborhood crows and doves. Off I went, puffing and puffing for that first mile that it takes for my lungs and hear to stop their argument and fall into synch with my feet. I tried to let my mind wander anywhere that did not include Ms. You-Can't-Do-This lurking ever-noisily in my conscience.

Down to the river and making the slightest west where a large oak overhangs a river bend right out of Tom Sawyer, I began to pick up pace and settled into the literal and figurative memory lane of my parents' hometown. One, two, three miles slipped by about as fleetingly as the years seem to these days and before I knew it, I found myself with five-and-a-half miles behind me.

You know what Dorothy says .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 12:52 PM

That's my last run for September 2019 and what a wet one it was. Although it was fine when I left the house the heavy overnight rain had flooded a lot of my 'out in the country' route, and in some places it was impossible to run round the lake that had submerged the road, so I had to nimbly tip toe through about a foot of water in places.....

It was clear as I left the village but as I approached the river and canal a mist descended and reduced my vision to just five hundred yards like something out of a horror movie.....
I just trotted on through the strangely quiet and still air and keeping an eye out for puddles and werewolves....
Plenty of puddles but fortunately no werewolves, not even yappy dogs and I tried to run a quietly as I could when passing the farm.

Due to an annoying head cold I only ran six miles last Sunday, but for some unknown reason my feet just seemed to take the right fork in the road and make it an eight miler... All was well until the last two miles and the rain started, gentle at first, but by the time I arrived back at the village all hell broke loose, and I was already struggling with rubber legs. I guess the effects of the head cold were still apparent....

I made it home safely but recovery is taking some time and I still feel a bit wobbly, but satisfied. A quick look at the years total mileage reveals 850 miles so far, so I could be on for another thousand mile year......
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2019, 01:10 PM

Well done Bob and Suzie on your running jaunts
I fully look forward to getting back into that sort of exercise as soon as my current problem is sorted out.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

29-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Thanks, Floydy! I am pleased you are still hanging around as we expect you will be posting your exploits soon enough.

OGF, you must have quite the sense of accomplishment this afternoon. What an atmospheric scene it must have been. Isn't it remarkable how no two runs are never the same? I never skip running when I have a cold and theorize that running, in fact, shortens their duration. Do you have any sense of that?

It's morning here and my mother's immense yard has me out gardening, pruning, and mowing most of the day, but those long stretches of road are calling for a sunset run...

Good health, everyone!
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Phew, still looking after mum, who now has a dodgy gallbladder on top of everything else. I am getting to the gym, but computer time is very limited as she doesn't have one and I loathe typing on my phone. Keep up the good work and hopefully things will be back to normal at this end soon
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Thanks, Floydy! I am pleased you are still hanging around as we expect you will be posting your exploits soon enough.

OGF, you must have quite the sense of accomplishment this afternoon. What an atmospheric scene it must have been. Isn't it remarkable how no two runs are never the same? I never skip running when I have a cold and theorize that running, in fact, shortens their duration. Do you have any sense of that?

It's morning here and my mother's immense yard has me out gardening, pruning, and mowing most of the day, but those long stretches of road are calling for a sunset run...

Good health, everyone!
Even running the same courses day after day produces different emotions and the changing moods of nature at work Surfermom.....As you so well describe....

On the very rare occasion that I had to spend time off work with a cold, I decided to chug round my eight mile course anyway......I actually broke the record...
And yes, head colds do not last very long if I can manage to keep it going at any level...
Sometimes after a run is the only time you can breathe properly when blocked up....
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 12:05 PM

Floydy, perhaps you can suggest an exercise for me.

For 5 months now, I have torn ligiments in my shoulder and collar bone and I find it very difficult to lift my arm up or behind my back, is there any exercise I can do to help it heal.

Susie x
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2019, 02:38 PM

The start of the month was my cue to get cracking and do some proper weights after missing so many sessions last month. All was going well on Tuesday the 1st October, but after 50 minutes we were informed the students would be using the gym for the next 45 minutes because of bad weather restricting their outdoor sports. What a flipping nuisance! I only had time to burn 755 calories and shift 52,000 kilos in total of which 41,000 was leg work because I hadn't really started that much upper body and torso exercises at that point.

Cut to Thursday, which went much better and I managed an uninterrupted 2¼ hours. Weight lifted in the session was 18,780kg arm/chest, 10,575kg torso and 57,900kg legs, for a total of 87,255 kilos. 1315 calories burnt and workout rated as 95/100. Sets below are totals and were broken up into smaller mixed sets...

Crunch: 90x50kg
Back extension: 90x50kg
Pulldown: 75x50kg
Hip Abduction: 120x40kg
Hip Adduction: 90x40kg
Leg Curl:120x35kg
Leg extension: 60x35kg
Pec Deck: 30x50kg, 20x45kg, 30x40kg, 20x35kg, 10x30kg
Shoulder press: 20x15kg
Low row: 40x50kg
Leg Sled: 360x120kg
Chest press: 30x15kg, 20x35kg, 20x40kg, 20x45kg, 8x50kg
Curls (alternating & twisting): 100x9kg
Cable pulldown: 80x23kg

Touch wood, but the last 8 or 10 days made me realise my knees are not hurting or even all that stiff when I walk!! I hope that lasts!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

04-10-2019, 05:13 PM

Susie, I am really sorry to hear about your injury! For torn ligaments, you absolutely need to talk to a physical therapist before doing any exercises or even stretches. I expect that rest is going to be much more conducive to your healing than exercise. I wish you speedy recovery!

OGF, yet another reason for a little personal celebration with record eight miler. I don't know how you do it, but you are ever the inspiration .

Tachyon, 2.25 hours! That's amazing! It must feel great to be back in the gym again, and hopefully it is a sign that your mother is doing a bit better. Well done all around. I try to do similar arm curls.

Reason #232 it's good to be a runner is that when it's raining buckets outside and flooding all around your mother's house, you are already dressed to climb ladders to clear roof gutters and dig French trenches to relieve standing water around the foundation.

Once the deluge backed off I managed a five miler, and a splashing muddy one at that! I actually like running on days in which no one is on the road and concerns of appearance just don't matter. I might be bit lighter after that run, but I definitely don't look any better .

Signed,
Muddy and soaked in Kansas

Page 322 of 370 « First < 222 272 312 320 321 322 323 324 332 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top