Join for free
Page 330 of 370 « First < 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 340 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Excellent outing Surfermom, but I could refer to thousands of occasions in my running career where I felt overdressed by the end of the run, but can only count on one hand occasions where I was underdressed.......

And just a word about 'Lefty' and his million years of evolution, he's not evolved too well as he slithers into his muddy domain, and I sit back after a run with Beethoven or Bach massaging my ears while taking a hot shower with a hot steaming mug of Yorkshire tea in my grasp....And where does he holiday each year?

Nice to see you back though, you've been missed.....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 03:30 AM

Yes indeed OGF, we have our creature comforts, but who to say that that alligator doesn't feel as contented. I get what you are saying though, me most especially with my penchant for being under mountains of fluffy blankets and piles of pillow around me. That said, it's hard to argue with the success of being around for 40 million more years .

I've been off wrestling some very big decisions , so it's a breath of fresh air to be back. Thrilled to see you are back out there too!

M running gear for tomorrow's run awaits...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Yes indeed OGF, we have our creature comforts, but who to say that that alligator doesn't feel as contented. I get what you are saying though, me most especially with my penchant for being under mountains of fluffy blankets and piles of pillow around me. That said, it's hard to argue with the success of being around for 40 million more years .

I've been off wrestling some very big decisions , so it's a breath of fresh air to be back. Thrilled to see you are back out there too!

M running gear for tomorrow's run awaits...
But Lefty hasn't progressed Surfermom, like an old oak tree.....He just is!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 01:22 PM

Suzie, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your latest tale about the alligator and of course your delightfully decriptive recollection of your run . It's a breath of fresh air to read yours and Bob's reports as always.

After almost four weeks of rest and recuperation, I feel that I'm ready to do a bit of exercise and I plan to visit the gym for the first time since August tomorrow.
Don't worry (or fuss please, encouragement would be better), I'll be taking things very easy. After last week's long walk along the river bank I felt absolutely brilliant and I just need to clear away the cobwebs from my creaking frame and do some light high rep weights and some treadmill work.

There will be no 'pulling' exercises and everything will be done on the machines where I can sit down, no standing stuff which may aggravate the wound and definitely no direct abs work ever again. I don't want the hernia to pop out again!

I feel I need to do something to get back to fitness in a moderate way before my pre-op this coming Thursday, as a couple of weeks' worth of gentle exercise before my other operation on the 28th will be better than being a fat blob when I undergo surgery.

I'll let you know how things go tomorrow
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-11-2019, 01:32 PM

With the social media and news stations whipped up into a frenzy concerning the flooding, even I was beginning to think that Barnby Dun would now be turned into a seaside town....So it was with this thought pricking my conscience that I set off on my Sunday morning eight mile run that would take me over the raging river Don bridge in Bramwith, leaving me with no doubt that eight miles of running is just fanciful thinking....

It was only just light as I set off, and a long way off sunrise although the sky was light enough to see there were no rain clouds lurking on the horizon, and with no breeze to speak of I guessed it was going to be a nice day, but cold.
With shorts, a thin fleece top and gloves I was dressed for temperatures down to sub zero, but about 4*C seemed about right.

I was almost surprised as I left the village, not even standing water where there usually is standing water from just a shower....The roads were dry and no sign of lakes in the surrounding farmland. I thought I was running in a parallel universe compared to the one the media had described.

I jogged on to the little village of Bramwith, just a small collection of farms really, but more recently with the decline in farming it had become a bit of a des res with several barn conversions and posh houses with large conservatories sited by the side of the canal each with its own private dock.

The first sign of flooding here, with a low field next to the canal submerged. No risk to the houses though because this field is lower than the surrounding land and rather than flooding from the overflowing river, flooded because the river is too high to drain the land, and the canal sits between this hamlet and the river. The canal is static and never rises more than a couple of foot each way.

As I turned the corner and viewed, first the canal bridge, and then the river bridge I was shocked to see the river still very high and almost trickling across the road. The current was strong and swirling and although a decent swimmer I would have no chance of survival in such an angry cauldron of swirling mud and driftwood. Although the bridge was closed I nimbly approached the bollards, and like a footballer I ducked and weaved my way through, what I considered to be the opposing team....

It was a different story at the other side of the river with floodwater as far as the eye could see, it was lapping each side of the road and occasionally I had to make for the high ground on the verge to avoid about a foot of freezing cold water spread across the road.
Once I was clear of the river the roads and surrounding fields became dry. A police car barred the way to Fishlake, but fishlake is not on my route today so I waved and jogged past.

Fishlake have had it very bad this time with most of the houses under a couple of foot of water. My friend has just moved there and made alterations to the property, which has been flooded and she has had to abandon her house and come and live with her parents across the road from me. Heartbreaking for her....

I returned to the river bridge on my route home and discovered a police car and a bloke from the local radio station had taken up positions on the bridge. Modest as I am, I decided to accept the news hounds request for an interview, so I stopped the watch and gave him five minutes of my time....Requests for autographs will be considered....

So despite nature's attempts to derail my Eight mile Sunday run, I managed to stay dry and complete the course....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Oooh we might see our very own Foxy on the telly later!

Good run as always Bob
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-11-2019, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Oooh we might see our very own Foxy on the telly later!

Good run as always Bob
Thanks Floydy, it was just an audio recording though....
It looked like a Radio Hallam Vehicle....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2019, 06:18 PM

Hi

I am feeling a little better and have a set of exercise bands from physio.

The littlies were here today, so great fun was had by all using them.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2019, 05:40 AM

OGF, what a brilliant account! I actually sat down with a cup of teat to give it a proper read. With the help of Google maps, I was able to understand the situation better; I do feel for those affected by the flooding. The flooding is making the news here too, though it's a shame that Fishlake is now...well...a fish lake (sorry, I couldn't resist). One of the things I realized when perusing the map is how many places you have to explore. I am sure you never tire of it, muddy or not!

Floydy, you are a wise one to go easy, and I do think that a nice gentle walk wouldn't hurt. I am also sitting her trying a few arm movements and imagine that you could isolate your arms if you went very, very light. It's good to see you here!

Swimfeeders, having little kids around is good for the body, mind, and soul - the very best sort of exercise! It sounds like you have homework. Have you been given a set of stretching activities that you are to try, or are you to make up your own?

This is the one time of year that I can run midday, so with a blue sky along with an empty sportsplex, I was able to run the big loops that take me to the river and pond. It was like it must have been when the dinosaurs roamed - primitive birds perched high in the trees looking menacingly down and herons standing like statures along the damp, fern-bordered banks. It felt great running 5.5 miles despite a good percentage of my muscles screaming that they now want a hot bath and massage. Alas there is laundry, bills, some tutoring, and phone calls all screaming louder .

Life is good, y'all. Mother nature is throwing at us all she's got and we are still standing .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

12-11-2019, 11:56 AM

Don't know what happened really it all went by so fast, I set off at first light with my hood turned up against the wind and rain, ran five miles and felt good, If it hadn't been the twenty minutes I spent cleaning the mud off my running shoes I would have sworn I'd not been out....

977 miles covered so far this year, it looks like the magic thousand is in my sights.....

Page 330 of 370 « First < 230 280 320 328 329 330 331 332 340 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top