Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:16 PM

Re: How Useful Are Walking Sticks For Those With Balance Problems?

My granddad had a walking stick -he needed it having one leg shorter than the other from a childhood injury .
He also used it to threaten children who dared tread on his lawn .
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Gravitas it comes in handy at airports when you struggle to get up those bloody steps to the plane I can tell you.
Especially when you have to breath in those fuel fumes and also when you are queuing for your luggage.
Most of the time some kind person will always step forward and help you.

I would rather walk without them and huff n puff my way through life but sometimes there are always impatient gits when you are queuing pushing you on so it also comes in handy as a weapon of self defence when needed.

I don't claim benefits never have just DLA which I am entitled to.
Paid all my dues thank you.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Gives a bit of security I suppose. Over the years, the people I see using them often look like they don't need them. Perhaps claiming benefits and wanting to look deserving.

Anyway there is a simple question there.

You really do have a strange lack of consideration for others, Gravy.

I don't know one single person who uses a stick merely to 'claim benefits' or 'look deserving.'
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:33 PM

Gives a bit of security I suppose. Over the years, the people I see using them often look like they don't need them. Perhaps claiming benefits and wanting to look deserving.

Years ago gentlemen of all ages use a Walking Stick or cane as an accessory and it was considered very smart.

Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:37 PM

I use my dad's old walking staff when out with the dog as my balance is a bit iffy since my knee operations and the grounds more than a bit rough. I'm ok on the flat in the Town though, so it stays in the car then.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When Artangel cut her knee and needed 14 stitches, she struggled to walk because she was told not to bend her knee.
She used an old walking stick, that had belonged to a relative, and told me that it made her feel safer when trying to walk .....falling again could have created further damage to her knee.

As we get older, many people find that a walking stick helps them feel more independent & less afraid of falling.
Some older gentlemen look very dignified walking with their stick, but I am certain that none of them use it, that don't need to.

Do you have no compassion for people who are suffering Gravitas?
The suffering, yes. The con-men, no.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When Artangel cut her knee and needed 14 stitches, she struggled to walk because she was told not to bend her knee.
She used an old walking stick, that had belonged to a relative, and told me that it made her feel safer when trying to walk .....falling again could have created further damage to her knee.

As we get older, many people find that a walking stick helps them feel more independent & less afraid of falling.
Some older gentlemen look very dignified walking with their stick, but I am certain that none of them use it, that don't need to.

Do you have no compassion for people who are suffering Gravitas?

Twink, l was going to keep quiet about that....
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You really do have a strange lack of consideration for others, Gravy.

I don't know one single person who uses a stick merely to 'claim benefits' or 'look deserving.'
Don't focus on that (as I encouraged) focus on the question.
Gravitas
North England

09-07-2019, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Have you considered a hobby ?
No. Have you?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-07-2019, 07:49 PM

I thought the dishonest claimants use gutter crutches in case they are photographed when they are out.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top