Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 02:59 AM

Re: 1960's Girl Groups

Now:

The Ronettes - Baby I Love You (1963)

(baby I love you) Come on baby

(baby I love you) Oh-ee baby

(baby I love you) Baby I love only you

Woa-oh, woa-oh oh oh
During their first few months with Phil Spector, the Ronettes achieved mainstream success with the release of "Be My Baby" in August 1963, which climbed to number two on the US Billboard Hot 100 and peaked at number one on the Cashbox Hot 100. It was the success of "Be My Baby" which had Spector eager to do a follow-up for the Ronettes in the fall of 1963.

However, a problem arose when the Ronettes were booked to appear on Dick Clark's "Caravan of Stars" tour across the country.

Phil Spector decided to keep lead singer Ronnie Bennett in California to record "Baby, I Love You" while the other two Ronettes, Estelle Bennett and Nedra Talley, went out on the tour with Dick Clark. Ronnie's cousin, Elaine, took her place on the tour while Ronnie recorded the song at Gold Star Studios in California. Since the other Ronettes were unavailable for recording, Spector used Darlene Love and Cher to complete the backing vocals. The song also featured Leon Russell on piano. "Baby, I Love You" peaked at number 11 in the UK during January 1964, at a time when the Ronettes were touring the UK as the support act to the Rolling Stones.

Cher on backing vocals - not for the first time and not for the last .....

Leon Russell making a few bucks .....
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 04:22 AM

That's interesting about Baby I Love You.They don't sound any different to me. Be My Baby is another big favourite of mine.They both take me right back to my youth and my not very successful attempts at chatting up the birds.And I always thought they were Motown.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-11-2019, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
That's interesting about Baby I Love You.They don't sound any different to me. Be My Baby is another big favourite of mine.They both take me right back to my youth and my not very successful attempts at chatting up the birds.And I always thought they were Motown.
Known as "The Darling Sisters", the girls signed first to Colpix Records in 1961, they moved to Phil Spector's Philles Records in March 1963 and changed their name to "The Ronettes".

I don't think I'm letting the cat out of the bag by admitting that "Be My Baby" may be upcoming .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

07-11-2019, 01:16 PM

Now:

The Crystals - Then He Kissed Me (1963)

He kissed me in a way that I've never been kissed before

In a way that I want to be kissed forever more
"Then He Kissed Me" is a song written by Phil Spector, Ellie Greenwich and Jeff Barry. The single is one of The Crystals' most remembered songs. It was recorded at Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles - the lead vocal was sung by Dolores "LaLa" Brooks, the arrangement of The Wrecking Crew's Wall of Sound was by Jack Nitzsche and Larry Levine was the engineer.

In the United States the single peaked at #6 and in the United Kingdom the single peaked at #2. The single was The Crystals' third single to chart in the top ten in the United States and their second to reach the top ten in the United Kingdom.

Despite this success, Spector abandoned the Crystals in favour of the Ronettes .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

07-11-2019, 03:38 PM

Now:

The Shirelles - Will You Still Love Me tomorrow (1960)

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow", also known as "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow", is a song written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. It was originally recorded in 1960 by the Shirelles, who took their single to number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. When first presented with the song, lead singer Shirley Owens did not want to record it, because she thought it was "too country." She relented after a string arrangement was added.

The song is also notable for being the first song by a black all-girl group to reach #1 in the United States.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

07-11-2019, 05:13 PM

Last:

(Be my, be my baby) Be my little baby

(My one and only baby) Oh-oh-oooooh

(Be my, be my baby) Ooooooooooh

Wha-oh-oh-oh-oh"
Be My Baby" was composed by Phil Spector, Jeff Barry, and Ellie Greenwich. It was recorded in July 1963 at Gold Star Studios in Los Angeles. Spector recorded a range of instruments including guitars, saxophones, multiple pianos, and horns with innovative studio mixing and over-dubbing. Spector described his production method as "a Wagnerian approach to rock & roll", which became known as the wall of sound. "Be My Baby" was one of the first times Phil Spector used a full orchestra in his recording. The drums were played by Hal Blaine, who introduced a drum beat that later became widely imitated. The Blossoms, led by Darlene Love, and Sonny and Cher were part of the group of guests that provided additional backup vocals.

The song was arranged by Spector regular Jack Nitzsche and engineered by Larry Levine. Ronnie Spector is the only Ronette to appear on the record.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top