Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 02:05 PM

Re: Halloween tree.

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It's popular because so many tacky things cross the Atlantic and get grabbed by silly people wanting to appear in the vanguard of style over here.
I visited the US twice in the Fall, the Halloween decorations are fantastic, I was inspired. They embrace the season, lots more home-made crafting of items.

Christmas does get a bit ott though.

We have no idea here of the huge range of craft supplies over there, everything here is overpriced and also we're lazy at making things for ourselves these days.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 04:11 PM

There is a campaign starting on fb to get people to hang lights or fairy lights in their front gardens or doors or gates from Halloween onwards, to brighten up the long winter nights
I think it's a lovely idea
I'll definitely do it

Solar powered I'm thinking
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 05:32 PM

It really gets on my nerves how England always copy American traditions. Its only a matter of time before we have a thanksgiving special day like they do. We copied Macdonalds turning our tradition of Sunday dinner into junk food Sunday dinner. I'm amazed at the amount of people who queue to go through Macdonalds drive through on a Sunday.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
It really gets on my nerves how England always copy American traditions. Its only a matter of time before we have a thanksgiving special day like they do. We copied Macdonalds turning our tradition of Sunday dinner into junk food Sunday dinner. I'm amazed at the amount of people who queue to go through Macdonalds drive through on a Sunday.
I never knew there was such a thing! Yuck!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:36 PM

We seem to have forgotten our own traditions so we acquire other countries'.

When did we last see Mummers, Hobby horses, cheese rolling (too dangerous for us now), men in long socks frolicking with bells on, proper Guy Fawkes dummies? No Squibing this year either, that's about the only thing left!

Our celebrations now consist of getting rat-assed, falling over and being sick. That's what we do to celebrate, well most seem to.
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

When did we last see Mummers, Hobby horses, cheese rolling (too dangerous for us now), men in long socks frolicking with bells on, proper Guy Fawkes dummies? No Squibing this year either, that's about the only thing left!

Our celebrations now consist of getting rat-assed, falling over and being sick. That's what we do to celebrate, well most seem to.
You are right there, TessA.
I have attached a pic of one of the creative outfits we see here in the states on Halloween.
How can this not bring a smile to your face when you open the door, and littles ones chant, "Trick or Treat"! It makes them grin to think they surprised you! I love it!

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Halloween kids.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	13997  
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

24-10-2020, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
There is a campaign starting on fb to get people to hang lights or fairy lights in their front gardens or doors or gates from Halloween onwards, to brighten up the long winter nights
I think it's a lovely idea
I'll definitely do it

Solar powered I'm thinking
Good plan but I think battery power might do better with the dull weather.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->

You do it your way. We'll do it ours.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

24-10-2020, 02:52 PM

Cute Right Now!

I've decided to put a pumpkin, probably painted with a character, outside my gate with lollipops for hair. I think that would be safer than kids digging into a bucket for sweets, hygiene-wise. Saves them coming to the door.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK

24-10-2020, 06:36 PM

Here's a tradition we could pinch!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top