Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 02:10 PM

Re: A tribute.

I have family out in Sydney & Queensland. I haven't heard from either so I am hoping they are just busy, but I feel sorry for all those who are having to cope with the damage these fires have caused.
I wish we could send them some of our rain!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 02:26 PM

It must be so frightening to see your lovely country being destroyed like this, seeing homes burnt to the ground, brave men and women losing their lives to the inferno ...... continual fear wondering if the fire will reach you.

My thoughts are with you all, stay safe everyone...
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 02:55 PM

Disasters. I wish everyone safe well.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 03:31 PM

Absolutely heart breaking, I send my thoughts and best wishes to everyone in Australia, who are battling for survival.

Do those perpetrators have no shame, if indeed it was all caused by reckless behaviour?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 08:21 PM

I was in Australia when I was in my twenties, a truly great country, and I send my heartfelt good wishes to all those involved in fighting these bush fires.

I don't think I've ever read of such bad and extensive fires ever before in my life.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-12-2019, 11:18 PM

I'm horrified by the fires in Sydney and feel so sorry for all the people who have been affected. I think the people of the world have their fingers crossed for a miracle for you there........... all the very very best of luck to you all.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2019, 03:29 AM

Hey thanks all of you for your response. Appreciated. I know there are many other places in the world that are going through massive disasters due to climate change. I guess that is the one thing that we can all take seriously if we want to help each other to survive. (I'm . not doing a "Greta" here.)..But we'll get past it. No choice really. On the subject of how fires start, it really is not that often that fires like this are deliberately lit. And the ones that are are usually detected and brought under control very quickly. Fires like these now and especially the mega blaze near Sydney take weeks to pick up momentum. THey grow gradually as a series of small blazes that are started by lightning strikes or pressure build up in trees and combine with the dryness of the bush, the unpredictability of the winds and the very high temperatures. The small fires threaten life and property and each one takes a lot of bringing under control. Mostly it works but sometimes it doesn't and they all join up and you have one huge fire. The wind blows embers ahead if the firefront and they start spot fires as well. Also backburning is essential but sometimes the wind gets treacherous and they get out of control. It's pretty complicated.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:27 PM

My daughter’s friend who went to live in Australia came back here for Christmas to attend a wedding. He has just found out, his house has burned down in the bushfires and he’s lost everything.
Terribly sad.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
My daughter’s friend who went to live in Australia came back here for Christmas to attend a wedding. He has just found out, his house has burned down in the bushfires and he’s lost everything.
Terribly sad.
Oh dear, what shocking news for your daughter's friend, Art.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2020, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Oh dear, what shocking news for your daughter's friend, Art.
Mags, He’s a really nice man too. He’s in his thirties and had an electrical business here before he moved to Australia to start a new life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top