Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 09:49 PM

Re: The winter festive season ...

Originally Posted by paula ->
Christmas will always be Christmas to me too....no matter how many people would try to change our beliefs or our way of living, and if it doesn't suit them...feel free to go elsewhere...
Well said, Paula, I completely agree.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
... used to be called Christmas, but the Christ element is fast becoming history, and us reborn pagans would prefer it that way. Pre Roman invasion, Winter Festival it is. Bring it on Mother Nature.

Furthermore, many of our guests not only don't do the Christ thing but are embarrassed, offended by the very mention of it.

Happy Winter Festival all.
Christmas, the birth of Christ? Well it (christmas) used to be in September when it (September) was the seventh month of the year. Then some church type chappies decided chrymble should be moved to somewhere near the end of December to capture the hearts of different belief believers. No problem. It worked well and most people were happy that they could still kill excess aminals that they couldn't feed over winter in order to have a winter feast, continue to hang lights in trees to ward off evil spirits, celebrate the stopping of the sun's movement for twelve days, bring trees or parasites like mistletoe indoors a-cause it had medicinal and magical properties, and generally make merry. It was still, Party Time!

Then, a new calendar was introduced such that a couple of extra months were slipped in making Seventh-Month (September) the ninth month instead, and the tenth month December became the twelfth month. Oh how all that Latin language learning was so wasted. Sept meaning 7, Dec meaning 10, all gone to pot. 'Twas awfully confusing.

But, christmas appeared on the same date as before even though it was not actually the same day a-cause a couple of extra months and a few extra days were inserted in between, and some days were removed to balance things out, without many people actually noticing, well save for a few thousand people that complained about days being stolen from them and wanting payment for the lost days.

I am not a christian, but if someone wishes me a merry christmas, I will wish them the same back. If instead they insist on wishing me a happy Winterval, or Winter Solstice, or Hanukkah, or even Hogswatch, I will wish them the same back.

I don't care. If the end of the year is the season to be jolly, and wish goodwill upon all men and women, then go for it, although why being jolly should be limited to a particular season is Beyonce me.

Just don't expect everyone to have the same beliefs or traditions as you.

Anyway, it's November, and far too early (or late) to be celebrating chrymble or whatever you want to call it. Come back at the end of the year and I will celebrate whatever end of year/religious/non-religious/multi-denominational celebration you want to celebrate.
Just remember, it's your round.

Note, this was not intended to be a serious post, nor was it intended to insult, deride, or be derogatory to any individual or groups of individuals.
Other belief systems are available.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Just remember, it's your round.
A tankard of mead, and jolly xmases all round.

Some level headed thinking there fruity. Mention easing up on the christ business at party time and some get jittery, want to resurrect the Spanish inquisition.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:26 PM

Good post Fruitcake....Mines a glass of Mulled Wine (or Harveys)....

I'm not religious either, I won't say 'I don't believe' just to be on the safe side.. But it's nice to associate Christmas with something, and the birth of JC just feels right....
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-11-2020, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Thanks for that but bugger that!

A merry Christmas, a very happy New Year (and may I be the first to wish y'all a very Happy Easter.)

Well said AT, and so say all who still believe in the true meaning of Christmas. May it last forever.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 07:54 PM

Isn’t this the time of year that Sir Bob of Geldof brings out another bloody song for Africa, will it make any difference?

Over the next few weeks we will witness the mass killing of thousands of creatures without a word of protest and we will in fact celebrate that killing, will Sir Bob stand up and Sing a Song for Turkey?
Not bluddy likely!
Mind you anything that ugly needs killing, the turkey's too.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Isn’t this the time of year that Sir Bob of Geldof brings out another bloody song for Africa, will it make any difference?

Over the next few weeks we will witness the mass killing of thousands of creatures without a word of protest and we will in fact celebrate that killing, will Sir Bob stand up and Sing a Song for Turkey?
Not bluddy likely!
Mind you anything that ugly needs killing, the turkey's too.
.. chestnut stuffing, cranberry sauce and a burgundy overdose will make it bearable, almost.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
.. chestnut stuffing, cranberry sauce and a burgundy overdose will make it bearable, almost.
Hell yesssss! And some port with a large cigar
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

11-11-2020, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad ->
Hell yesssss! And some port with a large cigar
... followed by brandy after eights and baileys for the ladies.
Vlad
West Midlands UK

11-11-2020, 09:07 PM

A proper Christmas

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top