Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:06 PM

Did you know .... about Christmas?

.......Christmas is a contraction of “Christ’s Mass,” which is derived from the Middle English Cristemasse, which in turn comes from the Old English Cristesmæsse, a phrase first recorded way back in 1038.

........The first commercial Christmas cards were commissioned by civil servant Sir Henry Cole in London in 1843.
Featuring a family drinking wine, one sold for £8,469 in 2014.

........It’s technically illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas Day in England. In the 17th century, Oliver Cromwell banned Christmas pudding, mince pies and anything to do with gluttony. The law has never been rescinded.

........Mistletoe (Viscum album) is from the Anglo-Saxon word misteltan, which means “little dung twig” because the plant spreads though bird droppings.

.......The word “Carol” actually means dance or song of praise and joy, and they used to be sung during all four seasons, but the tradition of only singing them at Christmas is the only one to survive.

.......Hanging stockings out comes from the Dutch custom of leaving shoes packed with food for St Nicholas’s donkeys. He would leave small gifts in
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:20 PM

Re: Did you know .... about Christmas?

Thanks for that Mags, very interesting....I love Christmas and all of it's traditions....And although I'm not too religious I never fail to attend Midnight Mass with Mrs Fox at the local church. It's nice to meet people from the village who I haven't seen since last year...I'm not sure it will be the same this year.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:36 PM

crimble is a nice name for it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
In the 17th century, Oliver Cromwell banned Christmas pudding,
He obviously never tasted an M&S Christmas pudding.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
crimble is a nice name for it.
Yes d00d, I also like the name Crimble
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

15-11-2020, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
He obviously never tasted an M&S Christmas pudding.
I take it you can recommend the M&S puddings, Harbal?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 09:01 PM

Very interesting Mags. Thanks.

(But you included the mistletoe one twice!)

Incidentally, as I understand it, mistletoe is never hung in churches except for York Minster, for some reason.
I suppose they didn't like the idea of the congregation kissing each other during the priest's sermon.
https://www.tripsavvy.com/facts-and-...0in%20churches.
(See no. 4)
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I take it you can recommend the M&S puddings, Harbal?
I can recommend the ones they sold about ten years ago, but I wouldn't know now.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

15-11-2020, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Very interesting Mags. Thanks.

(But you included the mistletoe one twice!)

Incidentally, as I understand it, mistletoe is never hung in churches except for York Minster, for some reason.
I suppose they didn't like the idea of the congregation kissing each other during the priest's sermon.
Thanks JB

I didn’t realise mistletoe is never hung in churches but your reasoning makes sense...
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 09:36 PM

An interesting read Mags, I didn't know most of that.

Oooooo I love Christ's Mass and everything about it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top