Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 10:06 PM

Re: Did you know .... about Christmas?

My dear old friend has decided not to make Christmas Pudding this year so i will not be getting a pudding from her. Very sad.

One of her reasons was that the Coles Luxury Christmas pudding is every bit as good if not better, my protestations fell on deaf ears.

Actually I have such a pudding on top of my fridge left over from last Christmas and they are very good but not as good as hers.

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:02 PM

Reminder:- Must wrap up some silver coins!

Or, maybe, threepenny bits,

Or, maybe, pennies,

or, maybe, just put chocolate buttons in there, as a cheapie!

We've always had a family member walk in and carry the burning Xmas Pud (Pussers Rum burns well!).

Will be a five year old, again, this year.

Ah! and the toast to "Absent Friends!"

Port Left, Sherry Right!

Can't wait!

Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Ah! and the toast to "Absent Friends!"
I always do that. It seems only right when I've avoided them all year.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:20 PM

How about this :-

York Minster is the only Cathedral in the UK that puts mistletoe as well as holly on its high altar at Christmas. This ancient use of mistletoe, connected with Britain's Druid past, is also linked to York and the North of England.

In the North of England, mistletoe grows on lime, poplar, apple, and hawthorn trees. Druids believed it had the power to ward off evil spirits. They also used it as a sign of friendship—thus the custom of kissing under the mistletoe.

Because of mistletoe's connection with the Druids, the early church associated it with sinners and evil and banned mistletoe for use and display in churches.

But they have always been a pretty independent lot in York. Mistletoe at Christmas remained popular there after the Druids were long gone. For a while mistletoe was incorporated into a service of repentance and pardon. York Minster held a winter Mistletoe Service where York's miscreants and evil doers were invited to seek forgiveness.

Holding up a branch of mistletoe, the priest would declare, "public and universal liberty, pardon and freedom of all sorts of inferior and wicked people at the minster gates, and the gates of the city, towards the four quarters of heaven."

Today, the Mistletoe Service is no longer offered in quite that way. But a sprig of mistletoe still decorates the high altar during the holiday season as a reminder of ancient customs and the spirit of forgiveness.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 12:17 AM

A few more interesting origins.......

...... Boxing Day gets its name from all the money collected in church alms-boxes for the poor.

......Robins on cards started as a joke 150 years ago when postmen wore red tunics and were named after them.

......The christmas cracker was invented by a London sweet shop owner called Tom Smith. In 1847, after spotting French bonbons wrapped in paper with a twist at each end, he sold similar sweets with a “love motto” inside. He then included a little trinket and a “bang”. His “Bangs of Expectation” included gifts such as jewellery and miniature dolls. By 1900, he was selling 13 million a year.

......The tradition of putting tangerines in stockings comes from 12th-century French nuns who left socks full of fruit, nuts and tangerines at the houses of the poor.

......According to tradition, you should eat one mince pie on each of the 12 days of Christmas to bring good luck.

......Why red, gold and green? Green has long been a symbol of life and rebirth; red symbolizes the blood of Christ, and gold represents light as well as wealth and royalty.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:07 AM

I love Christmas too....this years will be interesting
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Yes d00d, I also like the name Crimble
internet says
Crimble or Krimble is a slang term for Christmas coined by The Beatles as part of their 1963 Christmas record issued via the Beatles Fan Club. It is believed to have been coined by John Lennon given his penchant for wordplay. The term has come into general use among Liverpudlians, though use has spread to the wider world.
Never heard it used here in London, but have fond memories of west country yokels using it since back in the 60s.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->

......The tradition of putting tangerines in stockings comes from 12th-century French nuns who left socks full of fruit, nuts and tangerines at the houses of the poor.

I don't think I was aware of that being tradition outside my family. Hmmmm ...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't think I was aware of that being tradition outside my family. Hmmmm ...
As part of my 'Christmas Stash' when I was young, there would always be the compulsory fruit d00d....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-11-2020, 12:12 PM

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Let's not forget that those Christian usurpers stole the festival from the Romans.

The Saturnalia was an enduring Roman festival dedicated to the agricultural god Saturn which was held between the 17th and 23rd of December each year during the winter solstice. Originating from archaic agricultural rituals the Roman festivities came to include a general round of gift-giving, merrymaking, and role-reversals so that it became one of the most popular celebrations in the calendar and certainly the jolliest. The similarities of some of its features and the timing - pushed later into December over time - suggest a strong influence on the Christian celebration of Christmas.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top