Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 02:35 PM

The Ian Tomlinson Affair

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23573327# There is finally some degree of justice for Ian Tomlinson and his family in this long-running affair. If you remember Ian was innocently passing through a demonstration taking place in London when he was knocked to the ground by a thug of a policeman and he subsequently died as a result of internal injuries. While I have every admiration for the majority of our police, too often we read about the blacksheep among them and of a cover up when things go wrong. It's time the whole culture was altered and we once again had a force we can trust.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 03:00 PM

Re: The Ian Tomlinson Affair

About time someone made a formal apology, I note it is a woman police officer too.
I think there has been too much 'all boys sticking together' in the police force in the past .
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 03:28 PM

Good post Alan - needed to be said ....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 04:36 PM

I've known for many years that sections of the 'Met' Police were nothing but a bunch of fascists. Give 'em a pair of jack boots and swastika arm band and they'd be well happy.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 07:34 PM

Personally I don't think justice has been done, the chap is gone and they say sorry, but the culprit got off with just losing his job.
I don't call it justice at all!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:15 PM

I agree Wrinkly, how is it possible for an inquest to say that he was unlawfully killed then a trial acquit him of manslaughter. It makes no sense to me. Having said that his family accept that what has transpired is the best they can hope for.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2013, 09:36 PM

I was a bit confused about his death. Tomlinson had died from internal bleeding caused by trauma to the abdomen, in association with cirrhosis of the liver. But it was widely stated and shown on a video that he was hit on the back of the legs and got up and walked away.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 11:00 AM

I'm pleased that the family feel they can now move on but I still think it's disgraceful how it has all panned out. Harwood should have been charged with involuntary manslaughter and a few other thing too.

How did this man ever manage to slip through the net - so many times:

'Following the incident, it emerged that PC Harwood had faced several allegations of misconduct during his time in the police service.

In 2000, while off-duty, he was involved in what was described at the inquest as a "road rage" incident. He retired from the Met Police on medical grounds in 2001 before a disciplinary hearing could take place.

He then joined Surrey Police before being re-employed by Scotland Yard in 2004, despite an allegation of misconduct while at Surrey.

Ms de Brunner said the force had "got it wrong" when it came to disciplining PC Harwood, stressing the case had highlighted "significant failings in the vetting procedures" at the Met.

"It is clear that insufficient recording and checks meant that detailed information regarding the officer's misconduct history was not shared at key points," she said.
'

How many times do we have to hear apologies from the great and the good and hearing 'we need to do better' - what about actually doing better instead of just excusing and apologising when the next thing happens.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I was a bit confused about his death. Tomlinson had died from internal bleeding caused by trauma to the abdomen, in association with cirrhosis of the liver. But it was widely stated and shown on a video that he was hit on the back of the legs and got up and walked away.
It could depend upon how he fell - that video has been clipped short, the antagonism began before that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9cn3P_Rq78 - this is footage of Mr Tomlinson trying to avoid the crowds and find another route home but his way is blocked twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECMVdl-9SQ - this video shows the police allowing the dogs to behave, imo, a bit aggressively towards Mr Tomlinson (around 20 seconds into the video) before he is pushed to the ground. At around 30 seconds, you can see a police officer moving his foot away from Mr Tomlinson but it isn't clear why the officer's foot was on Mr Tomlinson to begin with. At 1.14, you can see that the black police dog was allowed to 'jolt' Mr Tomlinson's legs from behind.

The police lied about them helping him straight away and that the crowd impeded medics getting to him - neither statement is true.

Given that the first pathologist was also not truthful about the cause of death, whose to say the second one was accurate? Once they start lying, everything they say after that comes into question.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top