Join for free
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 05:52 AM

Bangladesh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24195441 So you think your life is c**p, how would you like to swap with these poor souls ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 07:28 AM

Re: Bangladesh.

But who is to blame, Alan. The bosses over there for poor working conditions or the people over here who want to buy the clothes they produce at rock bottom prices ? I always check the labels of garments to see where they were made, if it is not UK then I do not buy - but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find UK made clothes. When you think of the mills and factories we used to have, it is shameful.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 08:13 AM

And take this work away from them and what would they have to live on ? People say they should be treated better (and they should) but it's up to them (like we did) to fight for better conditions. We used to have factories and work like that in this country our ancestors fought long and hard and now we have much better standards and no factories with millions on the dole. That worked well didn't it

If we took this away from them they don't have dole or benefits.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
But who is to blame, Alan. The bosses over there for poor working conditions or the people over here who want to buy the clothes they produce at rock bottom prices ? I always check the labels of garments to see where they were made, if it is not UK then I do not buy - but it is becoming increasingly difficult to find UK made clothes. When you think of the mills and factories we used to have, it is shameful.
I know how you feel but, you don't buy and they starve to death!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Watched 2 docus on this subject - shocking and horrifying !
The Indian bosses were so cruel, which was totally unecessary ....
I do feel for them so much - they cant help where they are born .....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
You could add a third: the companies over here that place work contracts with those slave-drivers.

I won't buy clothing that isn't made locally or in Europe for two reasons: I won't support sweat shop labour and I also think that we have enough of our own jobless. If clothing is made more locally, it also cuts down on fuel emissions in transporting the stuff - why transport it halfway across the world when there's no need for it?

I understand that they need the work but I'm sure there are countries closer to them that they can trade with. Until Britain is in a better shape jobwise, I'd be more inclined to buy local.

I also agree with what another poster said in that they need to change things for themselves; I doubt anyone else can do it for them.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
You could add a third: the companies over here that place work contracts with those slave-drivers.
Good point!

I won't buy clothing that isn't made locally or in Europe for two reasons: I won't support sweat shop labour and I also think that we have enough of our own jobless. If clothing is made more locally, it also cuts down on fuel emissions in transporting the stuff - why transport it halfway across the world when there's no need for it?
In a word - greed!

I understand that they need the work but I'm sure there are countries closer to them that they can trade with. Until Britain is in a better shape jobwise, I'd be more inclined to buy local.
I agree.

I also agree with what another poster said in that they need to change things for themselves; I doubt anyone else can do it for them.
Very true.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top