Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 05:30 PM

Re: Rich Pensioners.

Julie, at the end of the day, we live in somewhat different worlds. I'm not unsympathetic to those on lower pay. I've simply been fortunate enough to enjoy a modestly comfortable lifestyle with not too many problems, and don't fully appreciate the challenges of modern life. Attempts at fact finding have only confused me!

Now I rant at the government for not giving savers a decent return on their money and despair if the FTSE goes down. I want to do an 'Uncle Joe' on parliament because Dianne will have to wait an extra year for her state pension and I complain bitterly to my MP because 'traditionally built' houses don't qualify for free wall insulation.

That's the world I inhabit - It's not perfect, but it's mine.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Well as I have said on other threads I have no problem with people earning more than us, that is great for them I don't begrudge them at all, it's when people say it's easy or we should be doing better or we had the same starts and opportunities I get a bit ruffled as it's patently untrue.

I wish you well I hope you enjoy your retirement and that Dianne enjoys hers too, you deserve it I am sure.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-12-2013, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
I've just found the 'Office for National Statistics' data for Median (as opposed to average) values of disposable household income for 2011/2012...
After adjusting for inflation, in 1977 the median income of retired households was £7,100 and the median income of non-retired households was £12,600.
By 2011/12, the income of retired households had grown 2.7 times to £19,300, while the income of non-retired households doubled from its 1977 level to £25,700.

The ONS also quotes the figure of £17,700 as the average retired household disposable income as opposed to per person. This is somewhat less than the median value. Confused??
Sounds a bit closer to me Grumble.

Can't work out why the Guardian interactive thingy said we're classed as in poverty though?

Should I be rattling a tin on street corners d'ya think?!
I was honest on it too - honest guv!!

Compared to some we know, we're OK but it is a bit tight at times; careful budgeting or go without 'til next month! stevmk2

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top