Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:31 PM

Re: Mental Health.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have had 2 bouts of real depression in my life one was situational, I was in a horrid job, leaky, mouldy, stinky flat and had lost two babies in 10 months. Second was entirely hormonal and chemical, when they got my hormones and medication right I was almost over night absolutely fine.

So some cases yes and some cases no.
A horrible place to be Julie. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:33 PM

I probably have more of an interest because I work in an environment where people with mental illness are admitted to hospital. I see it as it is, as well as feel it as it was. It can never be underestimated.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
When you are mentally ill it is the most awful thing in the world at that time. You cannot imagine coming out of it. You can only be helped by medication. You can't"snap out of it". You're in a place you have never been in before and find it impossible to get out of without experienced help. That's mental illness. Anxiety and worry are different.
And you don't even care whether you come out of it because nothing matters, it's a terrible place to be - a fully functioning body with a completely crippled mind...
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Do you think that your state of mental health is, at least partly, in your own hands ? Does your choice of lifestyle and your attitude to life affect your mental health?
There are many conditions which will affect our mental health - depression is just one of them.
The MIND website gives information on the problems and conditions that affect many people.

I believe self-help can be important, but we are all individuals and anyone can be affected by a mental health problem. Some people have generally robust mental health for most of their lives and others are more vulnerable.

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
Feeling down and pissed off is a dawdle to those not suffering from mental illness. That's the difference.
Absolutely....a world of difference.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

04-12-2014, 10:13 PM

Yes, yes, and yes. As I got older an (hopefully) more mature, I realized all the daft decisions that I had made when I was younger. Of course, to be fair; I didn't have all the right information either. You could say I was a tad naïve.

Lol, there's nothing like learning life's lessons the hard way.

donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

04-12-2014, 10:20 PM

I'd like to add that people have authentic mental illness, my Mom being one. It was very difficult for her to function in a normal fashion. I don't talk to her; years of abuse just drove me away. But I do understand now, why it happened.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:29 PM

I think the title of this thread is misleading, I believe it is meant to be about depression or perhaps temporary mental conditions. Some mental health problems such as psychosis, schizophrenia etc. are in no possible way brought on by the sufferer and should not be classed as self-induced in any way, shape or form.
Other mental health illnesses can be brought on by circumstances beyond the persons control, bereavement, abuse, poverty, social and peer pressures.
There are huge problems in our mental health services in this country, people in desperate states having to wait over a year for an appointment, very few suitable "beds" and a lack of trained professionals.
Feeling a "bit down" is not the same, sometimes you can "snap out of it" others it can be the start of something much worse.
I think sometimes if you can't see that it's something trivial and not worth worrying about, then you may have a problem, talking to someone is good and can help you put things in prospective.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
I think the title of this thread is misleading, I believe it is meant to be about depression or perhaps temporary mental conditions. Some mental health problems such as psychosis, schizophrenia etc. are in no possible way brought on by the sufferer and should not be classed as self-induced in any way, shape or form.
Other mental health illnesses can be brought on by circumstances beyond the persons control, bereavement, abuse, poverty, social and peer pressures.
There are huge problems in our mental health services in this country, people in desperate states having to wait over a year for an appointment, very few suitable "beds" and a lack of trained professionals.
Feeling a "bit down" is not the same, sometimes you can "snap out of it" others it can be the start of something much worse.
I think sometimes if you can't see that it's something trivial and not worth worrying about, then you may have a problem, talking to someone is good and can help you put things in prospective.
Correct me if I'm wrong Twizard but, as I understand it, psychosis can be brought about by drug taking which is obviously the choice of the drug taker. In other words a choice of lifestyle can bring about mental health problems.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2014, 10:45 PM

Not always Alan, it sometimes just happens for no reason, besides that, no matter how people become ill we should surely show compassion, we can all make mistakes. But, having said that, I tend to have less sympathy for those who are entirely self-obsessed and self-indulgent.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top