Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:50 AM

Re: Mental Health.

BBC News this morning reckons being "part of a group" can ward off depression related illnesses, take note all you "clique" theorists.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
BBC News this morning reckons being "part of a group" can ward off depression related illnesses, take note all you "clique" theorists.
the group thing could help. The clique thing is unhealthy and wouldn't help.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I think many of you are misinterpreting my post. I didn't ask the question "Are all mental health problems caused by choice of lifestyle" but I did ask "Can choice of lifestyle bring about mental health problems".....not the same thing at all.
I will turn that around Alan, can the the fact people suffer from Mental health issues cause them to make lifestyle choices they believe will negate some of their problems by use of drugs or alcohol. Im sure that there will be some that fall into both camps.

I feel for those that suffer from depression, that lead quite normal lives on the surface, hiding the fact that they suffer in silence working, raising families while this bloody awful condition eats away unseen. Usually until the sufferer cracks by which time its too late. Its an illness just the same as Cancer or Heart disease, but far too many are ready to condemn those with it as bringing it on themselves.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Nom;570271same as Cancer or Heart disease, but far too many are ready to condemn those with it as bringing it on themselves.[/QUOTE]

I would not wish mental illness on anyone. It can be a futile subject because there are those who think it'll never happen to them. They do say it happens to caring people, who have an attention to duty. They are, in fact, incredibly strong individuals, Less selfish than others. Although ugly, mental illness can teach the sufferer an awful lot.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 09:16 AM

Your right Alice, its the stigma associated with mental illness that probably prevents many from seeking help. Mind you thats a minefield on its own in the UK
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Do you think that your state of mental health is, at least partly, in your own hands ? Does your choice of lifestyle and your attitude to life affect your mental health?
I suspect that anyone who has suffered debilitating depression would not pose this question.

However, to try to answer it is also not easy. For some people lifestyle choices affect their mental health (alcohol abuse, drug abuse etc can result in depression). For many others who suffer depression, the ability to control lifestyle and attitude is totally lost, so the disease actually affects these rather than the other way around.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

05-12-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
I suspect that anyone who has suffered debilitating depression would not pose this question.
Very true.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 01:39 PM

But how will people who haven't ever learn anything if they don't ask, I think Alan posed a reasonable question really, and is being a bit misunderstood just for asking a question.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

05-12-2014, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
But how will people who haven't ever learn anything if they don't ask, I think Alan posed a reasonable question really, and is being a bit misunderstood just for asking a question.
I personally didn't mean Alan in particular, I meant in general. There are many people who don't understand mental illness and why should they if they haven't experienced it.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-12-2014, 09:07 PM

I wasn't having a go at Alan, either. Just trying to point out that those who have experienced mental illness are likely to have a different perspective.

I think his OP was a good question, though.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top