Join for free
Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 01:33 PM

Re: Are People Who Get On In Life To Be Decried ?

Applauded, Alan.

I left school in April 1968 to start life as an office junior. Nothing wrong with that, having to run errands, make the morning coffee, afternoon tea etc. small office just 5 minutes walk from home.

Then in late 1970 an opportunity arose to take a full time Pitmans secretarial course, which I started in January 1971. By about August I was back with my original firm, now in a secretarial position, earning more money. (The company that paid for my course didn't have a proper job at the end so I left. Mum worked in Personnel so I was able to find out if I could leave.)

And from then on I climbed further up the career ladder, gaining and honing my skills, realising that I took to being a secretary quite naturally.

Now, many years later, I won't look down snobbily at my three siblings, but I believe I'm the only one to have accrued employment pensions. The eldest and youngest have no qualifications or skills whatsoever, while the eldest sister (2nd out of the 4) had GCSEs from school, worked at the Pru, left to have children, worked in places like with people with special needs, sorting out potatoes in a farm shed, then latterly as a librarian (which her family sneered wasn't a proper job.)

I know, that if I hadn't taken that path into being a secretary, I wouldn't have the comfortable financial life I enjoy now.

It is true, you reap what you sow.

Years ago, Mum took on a job as a BT telephonist and kept trying to talk Dad into it. He also sneered at the thought (being a self employed builder and decorator for as long as I knew, after his spell in the army). Then, he caved in. He got on well, he enjoyed the regular money, the pension that went with it, and said he wished he'd done it earlier. Sadly, following his three heart attacks, they then 'let him go'. I was proud of both my parents, for having that strong work ethic. So yes, they too bettered themselves.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Not lazy by any means, just lacking in either the opportunity or the initiative to change things for the better.
Yes we have always been more concentrated on family than work it's been a means to an end so we don't starve but the idea of ambition to my husband would be a like a swear word, he loves the job he does which is why he puts in the hours but he has no ambition to climb the ranks quite happy to fill the machines up. I don't see that as a fault as he is happy with his lot unlike some of the managers I see who may have climbed the ladder but they look blooming miserable having got there. I think the trick is to find something you love doing and if it keeps you off the streets then all is good. We are not that into money a simple life does us.

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
No point in just working 60 hours a week and have no ambition to improve ones self to make life easier.
As for working 60 hours a week try running and owning a boarding kennels for long hours 7 days a week, make 60 hours a cakewalk
Oh and by the way as an apprentice We did a 5 day 60 hour week and I was only 15yrs old coming on 16 at the time.

So please do not start preaching about long hours worked
I wasn't preaching I was pointing out it's not laziness which I thought was a nasty comment to make about people who may not have done as well as others. You have no idea what some people's lives are like, I know I would have been better off financially if I had not married my husband but I love him for the traits that have also been the ones that kept us less than well off. Money isn't everything.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 01:56 PM

I agree Julie, money isn't everything but the lack of it makes many people's lives a misery.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 02:43 PM

Too much of it seems to make some miserable as well!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Too much of it seems to make some miserable as well!
I doubt that's anything to do with money, more likely the person is a naturally miserable s*d.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 02:47 PM

You are to be very loudly applauded and cheered Alan.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 02:58 PM

Green eyed monster showing now julie
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 03:23 PM

Really all we have ever wanted was each other and enough to live on I said in another thread this morning I am getting a bit bitter about never being able to live long enough to get a pension, I have actually been very lucky I made a good choice with my husband and the kids have been brilliant, looked after elderly members of the family which was a privilege. Not jealous anyone did well just wish everyone could have enough to have a warm home, enough to eat etc and in this society it is getting harder to do that.

My husband is an Aspie so he would never be ambitious and to be honest looking at his brothers who are I am very grateful he is as he is.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 03:37 PM

I know what you mean Julie. I'm all for hard working folk doing well and having comfortable lives.
When however, they assume that people who have very little are lazy layabouts it makes me sad.
It also makes me sad that they feel the need to tell people about what they have compared to others.
I blame the government of today for driving a wedge of resentment between the haves and have nots which seems to have had the effect of making folk feel and appear worthless if they don't have material possessions.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Well done Alan a good honest success story. The people I don’t like are those greedy businessmen (I don’t like money greedy anyone come to think of it) who have absolutely no morals where their employees are concerned and don’t give a damn about how little they pay them and how they have to struggle to live, how they can just cast them aside without batting an eyelid, more profit for themselves is all that concerns them, hard work and loyalty from staff counts as nothing. Thankfully there are still some very good employers left and they are to be commended.
Of course I love to see the ordinary man/woman making things better for themselves, that’s what a free society is all about. And those born into money? well that’s not their fault is it? good luck to them, I meet quite a few people with “Old money” and they are always a pleasure to deal with.

Page 3 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top