Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 05:26 PM

Higgs Boson.

Although it's not 100% certain, scientists think they have detected a sub-atomic particle predicted by theoretical phycisists 50 years ago. If it proves to be true it's the greatest scientific achievement over the last 100 years. What use is it? No one knows, but then they didn't know what use electricity was when the electron was discovered 100 years ago.This particle is thought to be what gives mass to everything in existence.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 06:14 PM

Re: Higgs Boson.

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Although it's not 100% certain, scientists think they have detected a sub-atomic particle predicted by theoretical phycisists 50 years ago. If it proves to be true it's the greatest scientific achievement over the last 100 years. What use is it? No one knows, but then they didn't know what use electricity was when the electron was discovered 100 years ago.This particle is thought to be what gives mass to everything in existence.
Alan I understand if the existence of Higgs Boson can be established we may be a step nearer nuclear fusion, crack this and we could have the answer to solving our long term energy problems .
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 06:59 PM

I'm hearing all about Higgin's Bottom on the news all day and haven't the faintest idea what they are on about, neither do they by the sound of it, some professor at the news conference compared it to a group of journalists in a room, he whispers something at the door and all the journalists make a dash for the door to hear what he's saying...and thats Higgs Boson, I swear, that's what the man said and he was very excited about it too, anyway I'm glad they they finally got something out of that overpriced smarties tube even if nobody knows what it is, the last smartie perhaps?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
I'm hearing all about Higgin's Bottom on the news all day and haven't the faintest idea what they are on about, neither do they by the sound of it, some professor at the news conference compared it to a group of journalists in a room, he whispers something at the door and all the journalists make a dash for the door to hear what he's saying...and thats Higgs Boson, I swear, that's what the man said and he was very excited about it too, anyway I'm glad they they finally got something out of that overpriced smarties tube even if nobody knows what it is, the last smartie perhaps?
Smartie tube Jem I am shocked, I thought it was a huge jam doughnut
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Smartie tube Jem I am shocked, I thought it was a huge jam doughnut
Sorry Meg, jam doughnut it is, but one should not mock our brave scientists they are so clever, like Columbus, when he set out he didn't know where he was going and when he got there he didn't know where he was, it all makes perfect sense.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 08:05 PM

There are lots of data and calulations to go through yet (as I understand it) because all this doesn't count until it has all been reviewed and analyzed, which could take months, or even years.
If they haven't found Higgs Bosun, science will carry on ... even to another set of theories..in another doughnut
Nuclear fusion has the potential to produce less radioactive waste than fission, while still generating large amounts of energy - pray that it will be used for the good of mankind
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 08:17 PM

No one knows where this discovery will take us. Science can be a force for good and for evil. It's up to mankind to determine that, but......mankind has a very mixed history on how it uses science. On the one hand we have all the amazing medical advances and on the other all the devices that can be used to kill each other. I prefer to be an optimist and think (or hope) that, whatever comes from this latest discovery, it will result in more good than evil.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
No one knows where this discovery will take us. Science can be a force for good and for evil. It's up to mankind to determine that, but......mankind has a very mixed history on how it uses science. On the one hand we have all the amazing medical advances and on the other all the devices that can be used to kill each other. I prefer to be an optimist and think (or hope) that, whatever comes from this latest discovery, it will result in more good than evil.
I do agree Alan, I'm an optimist with pessimistic leanings, or am I just a realist?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
I do agree Alan, I'm an optimist with pessimistic leanings, or am I just a realist?
Or maybe you used to be indecisive and now you just can't make your mind up
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Or maybe you used to be indecisive and now you just can't make your mind up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top