Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Re: Should Prisoners have the vote?

I would say no, but my reasons are different from most. My own politics are Left-leaning, and as most prisoners are more inclined to the political Right, let's leave well enough alone!!!
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2010, 06:02 PM

Do turkeys vote for Christmas? Should we allow convicted murderers only to vote for parties supporting the death penalty??

Sorry my twisted sense of humour.

It would be a legal nightmare trying to define a `crime` that does allow one still to vote-so leave things as they are.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Why not give them the vote? There are loads of thieving MPs who steal from us through their expenses. So they'll be voting for people, who should be locked up with them for fraud. Oh and if there's any room in the nick, quite a few bankers need to join them.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-12-2010, 06:14 PM

I think prisoners have forfeited the right to vote by committing a crime.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 02:09 PM

Of course they have DS and this idea should be thrown out. I can't understand why it's even being debated.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
I would say no, but my reasons are different from most. My own politics are Left-leaning, and as most prisoners are more inclined to the political Right, let's leave well enough alone!!!
That`s a new one on me Joan, where does that little gem of information come from?
Joan
Queensland Australia
Joan is female  Joan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2010, 10:45 PM

Many years ago I was doing a short course and there was a sociology part to it. We were learning about various rights and responsibilities of people in Britain. It came from there, but when I thought about it, it made sense. Most crime comes from people wanting something that belongs to others, wanting more than their share.

That seemed more Tory to me.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Joan ->
Many years ago I was doing a short course and there was a sociology part to it. We were learning about various rights and responsibilities of people in Britain. It came from there, but when I thought about it, it made sense. Most crime comes from people wanting something that belongs to others, wanting more than their share.

That seemed more Tory to me.
That`s quite a broad insult to anyone who votes Tory. Is that all that voting Tory represents to you, wanting more than your share? It must have been one hell of a sociology course; who was running it, Stalin?
Joan
Queensland Australia

29-12-2010, 01:02 PM

Well, I WAS having a laugh, but never mind.

It was a government course about Social Security. Stalin was conspicuous by his absence: not even the spectre of Marx appeared. I thought I heard Lenin mentioned at one point, but it was just a Beatles fan talking about John.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts

29-12-2010, 03:15 PM

My apologies Joan for missing the joke, :-

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top