Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 11:00 AM

Should Prisoners have the vote?

The European Court is insisting that the UK allow prisoners the vote.
I`ve listened to a debate on Radio 5 this morning and am not convinced by the arguments in favour of this - which are that the vote is a right for everyone, that it is a step towards rehabilitation, that it is a `slippery slope` to us treating prisoners are sub-human.

As one caller said - he`d really like the Court of Human Rights to support the victims occasionally....

As I understood it, the vote was not allowed because you had forfeited your right by transgressing the rules of the society. So until your sentence was over you were an `outlaw` as it were.

Leaving aside the question of the UK being subject to the International Court (in itself contentious) - what do you think?
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 12:10 PM

Re: Should Prisoners have the vote?

In order to implement the vote for all prisoners, no doubt by postal vote, there is bound to be a cost to the taxpayer, so the answer is 'no'.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 01:19 PM

My way of thinking is that if they can't abide by the law, they should forfeit their right to vote.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 02:44 PM

I'm undecided tbh - not really sure what I feel on the matter. On one hand I think no, but then think of people being sent to prison for 'small' matters, then on the other hand I think yes. :-/
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 02:49 PM

A definite no from me
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I'm undecided tbh - not really sure what I feel on the matter. On one hand I think no, but then think of people being sent to prison for 'small' matters, then on the other hand I think yes. :-/
Yes, I think Cameron is saying it shouldn`t be for murderers.
I understand the reasoning, but if you`ve broken the law, doesn`t it give the wrong message if some crimes disenfranchise you and some don`t?
I`m sure anyone who has ever been burgled or swindled wouldn`t regard the crime as unimportant. If you look at the crime from the point of the victim, very few would be small.
jmo
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 09:43 PM

I think they should not have the right to vote-they have done wrong so they should have this taken from them until they are released back into society where they can then exercise this right.........
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 10:34 PM

I would say no - people who are serving a prison sentence have been removed from society. Because of their removal from society I believe the right to vote should also be taken from them.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2010, 10:55 PM

By commiting a crime, being convicted and inprisoned they have shown a disregard
for the democratic system that this country uses to contol everything therefore,
they should forfeit any rights to be involved in this country,s democratic process until the system deems them safe to be let back into society, IMO.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2010, 11:41 AM

As I understand it the Euro Court Ruling stated that a blanket ban was unjust but certain prisoners(not specified) should have the right to vote.

I think any OAP that has being jailed for not paying his Council tax or TV licence should have the right to vote.

Cat A prisoners should not

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top