Join for free
Page 19 of 42 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 10:48 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So how is the metal detector coming along? I hear you ask.....
I had to make a slight change of direction with the search coil. As with most of my projects, I have to make it up as I go along, some ideas work and others don't. Unfortunately, making the search coil body using 3 disks of 6mm MDF resulted in the 18mm thick body far too robust to work, and too heavy to be wafted about over the terrain for an hour or two.

So after a new design I ended up with this.....The wound coil is supported by a single piece of 6mm MDF and sandwiched between two disks of hardboard and then as much material as possible removed to make it nice and light.

Did you consider Corriflute?
https://mindsetsonline.co.uk/shop/corriflute-3/

It's very light yet rigid, especially if two layers are used with the corrugations at 90 degrees to each other.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 10:53 PM

Another neat job sir.

In my former life, changes to existing kit that needed to be modified pronto whilst "out in the field", often with paperwork to follow, a field modification.

Did you modify this in a field, or is it just for use in a field, and will it affect the field current of the search coil?

I'll get my coat.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Did you consider Corriflute?
https://mindsetsonline.co.uk/shop/corriflute-3/

It's very light yet rigid, especially if two layers are used with the corrugations at 90 degrees to each other.
That sounds just the job JB. Once I have proved that the machine does what it should do, I can go back over and modify the coil and some of the electronics, and even try different methods of winding the coils. Even perhaps adding an amplifier to make it more sensitive.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Another neat job sir.

In my former life, changes to existing kit that needed to be modified pronto whilst "out in the field", often with paperwork to follow, a field modification.

Did you modify this in a field, or is it just for use in a field, and will it affect the field current of the search coil?

I'll get my coat.
Thanks Fruitcake, much appreciated....
Your sense of humour really appeals to my sense of humour Fruitcake....
Would you describe me as being outstanding in my field.... (with a metal detector)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2021, 11:17 PM

That sounds just the job JB. Once I have proved that the machine does what it should do, I can go back over and modify the coil and some of the electronics, and even try different methods of winding the coils. Even perhaps adding an amplifier to make it more sensitive.
Good luck, OGF, but I'm sure it will work perfectly.

(Oh, can I have 10% of the treasure please?)
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 08:53 PM

So, what’s happened? Is the metal detector up and running as yet? How about a progress pic
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So, what’s happened? Is the metal detector up and running as yet? How about a progress pic
Thanks for your inquiry Minx...I'm chuffed to see you in here...

At the moment I'm concentrating on the enclosure for the electronics. I've worked out where to situate things like the 'Potentiometer' (the knob that adjusts the sensitivity) the connections for the leads from the search coil, and the power input socket. There is also an on/off switch and an output jack to allow headphones to be attached. As you will appreciate it takes time to decide the most convenient place to place the various controls.

Unlike the search coil construction, it doesn't actually show any progress as each stage is completed, because in order not to damage a completed stage it has to be removed before construction of the next. Only when all stages have been completed can it all be assembled. However, because of you kind enquiry, I will take some pictures tomorrow so you can see what I mean....Thanks again Minx....
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2021, 09:53 PM

Thanks for your inquiry Minx...I'm chuffed to see you in here...

At the moment I'm concentrating on the enclosure for the electronics. I've worked out where to situate things like the 'Potentiometer' (the knob that adjusts the sensitivity) the connections for the leads from the search coil, and the power input socket. There is also an on/off switch and an output jack to allow headphones to be attached. As you will appreciate it takes time to decide the most convenient place to place the various controls.

Unlike the search coil construction, it doesn't actually show any progress as each stage is completed, because in order not to damage a completed stage it has to be removed before construction of the next. Only when all stages have been completed can it all be assembled. However, because of you kind enquiry, I will take some pictures tomorrow so you can see what I mean....Thanks again Minx....
So there has been substantial progress. I saw a pic of the Potentiometer a few pages back on this thread so no need for more pics on my account -thanks.

Your workmanship is very neat and professional.
Have you decided on an Oscilloscope as yet.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

14-01-2021, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
So there has been substantial progress. I saw a pic of the Potentiometer a few pages back on this thread so no need for more pics on my account -thanks.

Your workmanship is very neat and professional.
Have you decided on an Oscilloscope as yet.
One of the members on the forum donated an oscilloscope to the Foxy workshop Minx, to which I am very grateful.
Having not had much experience with an oscilloscope I hope to give it some attention once I have finished the Metal Detector and one or two other projects in the pipeline. I must point out that my workshop is in the loft, and although I have got it insulated, it gets very cold when the temperature drops, so it it's not all that comfortable at times to perform delicate work. Bring on the spring!...

Thanks for your kind complement Minx.....
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

14-01-2021, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
OK Foxy.
I have a bunch of resistors, mostly 0.5 ohm 5%, a few wire wounds, some ICs, some caps, scope leads. I also have a 100 MHz real time Tektronix oscilloscope and a few 1:1 and 10robes.

I have a clip on current probe. It's a HEME 1000 Ammeter, a fine piece of kit. Probably not a use for you but if you want it that's OK.
Found the generous soul - of course it had to be Visitor!

Page 19 of 42 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top