Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 07:22 PM

Whatever next in discrimination?

Hair Discrimination?

"At least 93% of Black people with Afro hair in the UK have experienced microaggressions related to their hair, according to a new report."

"Agnes Mwakatuma, founder of mental health fundraising charity Black Minds Matter, says the psychological impact of experiencing regular hair discrimination shouldn’t be underestimated.

‘The racial trauma caused by microaggressions has a huge impact on a person and hair discrimination has the power to have a knock-on impact on confidence and self-esteem,’ Agnes tells Metro.co.uk.

‘Speaking from my personal experience as a Black woman, my hair has become my identity and being able to express it or confidently share my natural hair with the world without having to experience microaggressions is important for my mental health.’"

https://metro.co.uk/2021/01/28/black...tion-13978243/
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 07:28 PM

Re: Whatever next in discrimination?

It’s a very big thing in Africa Baz46. One dare not mention ethnic hair.
A few schools in SA were raked over the coals for asking female students to tie up their hair.
Apparently, it’s a ‘western’ ideal of hair care and not African.
Any non-black women in Africa knows not to discuss ethnic hair challenges because we don’t understand their plight.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
It’s a very big thing in Africa Baz46. One dare not mention ethnic hair.
A few schools in SA were raked over the coals for asking female students to tie up their hair.
Apparently, it’s a ‘western’ ideal of hair care and not African.
Any non-black women in Africa knows not to discuss ethnic hair challenges because we don’t understand their plight.
You obviously know this from first-hand experience due to living in the country you do. For this reason I accept totally what you say.

To be honest though I just cannot see what difference it makes, perhaps that's just me though.
I see someone as first a human being and their colour, hair or hair style, clothing doesn't come
into it at all.

It would be interesting to hear what others think though.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:19 PM

One day there will only be two hair styles allowed
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:20 PM

Probably, why many in this country wear wigs...I have worked with black nurses and carers, they all wore wigs.....I also watch a lot of YouTube, home interior channels, I have found black woman have great taste in home decor, again, most wear wigs.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:27 PM

I heard this earlier on the news. One of them was complaining that people often ask if they can touch her hair. I see that as someone being genuinely interested rather than being racist. In the end I had to switch the TV off. I think the World has more important things to worry about at the moment.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I heard this earlier on the news. One of them was complaining that people often ask if they can touch her hair. I see that as someone being genuinely interested rather than being racist. In the end I had to switch the TV off. I think the World has more important things to worry about at the moment.
LD, would you like someone asking if they could touch your hair?

I find that quite insulting, it would make me feel uncomfortable,.....but that’s just me, “see how different we all are”.....just a point I’m trying to make.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
LD, would you like someone asking if they could touch your hair?

I find that quite insulting, it would make me feel uncomfortable,.....but that’s just me, “see how different we all are”.....just a point I’m trying to make.
Wouldn't bother me at all Pauline. I work with quite a few younger people and they often take the piss out of my grey (ahem, silver) hair, calling me Gandolf the Grey etc but in no way do I find it insulting. if anyone wants to touch my hair, they can.

When we went to a particular Country on holiday, the men were blatantly leering at the western women and touching them up, that's insulting
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2021, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You obviously know this from first-hand experience due to living in the country you do. For this reason I accept totally what you say.

To be honest though I just cannot see what difference it makes, perhaps that's just me though.
I see someone as first a human being and their colour, hair or hair style, clothing doesn't come
into it at all.

It would be interesting to hear what others think though.
People are treated differently if they have Afro hairstyles. It used to be banned at schools, still is in some. The main thing is that black people are not tolerated if they grow their natural hair the way we do. I have noticed that black people on work calls often turn their camera off if their hair has grown out and will only reluctantly turn it on. I don't think we can really understand the issue. Unless you have experienced it yourself how can you? There's a societal stigma there and not just in the UK.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

09-02-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Wouldn't bother me at all Pauline. I work with quite a few younger people and they often take the piss out of my grey (ahem, silver) hair, calling me Gandolf the Grey etc but in no way do I find it insulting. if anyone wants to touch my hair, they can.

When we went to a particular Country on holiday, the men were blatantly leering at the western women and touching them up, that's insulting
You have answered my question, I find it insulting, you don’t, hence why we have problems ,we all see things differently....look at that fart thread I started, some were mortified that I said that word, see how different we all are....that’s all I’m trying to say..

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top