Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 10:42 PM

Re: Our legal system works but at a cost!

Originally Posted by Terencefw.GC1 ->
I'm sure you would have enjoyed it had you got the chance, Joe. I can't for the life of me understand peoples aversion to doing their bit! I would like to do it again, but perhaps on a shorter case.
I can, I like a quiet life. I live alone and when for safety reasons one is given a special code word and door to use when entering the court building and warned to take care on public transport in case members of the defendants family are traveling too it can be very scary.

There was no provision at the court for car parking and a long walk from the nearest long term car park to the court so the best option for me was the train . I felt very vulnerable.

I also had the problem of having to leave my dog all day when she had never been left alone for long before. The whole thing was a big worry for me.
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2012, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I can, I like a quiet life. I live alone and when for safety reasons one is given a special code word and door to use when entering the court building and warned to take care on public transport in case members of the defendants family are traveling too it can be very scary.

There was no provision at the court for car parking and a long walk from the nearest long term car park to the court so the best option for me was the train . I felt very vulnerable.

I also had the problem of having to leave my dog all day when she had never been left alone for long before. The whole thing was a big worry for me.
Yes! there are situations which do make it difficult. this applies to defendants as well. on my case one of the guys in the dock was drawn in to the case in being in the wrong place at the wrong time. a guy who's only companionship was his staffie. - I can only surmise the dog was left alone each day for the 5 weeks. life is like a coin - it has two sides each with its own story.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 07:26 AM

You were luck Terence, I got hit with 11 weeks of jury service when in my late 20's,, it was a murder case which after the first day was reduced to manslaughter.
No details other than the defendent spent a lot of time in prison.

I must admit that I really did enjoy the experience and it gave me an insight as to how to listen to people and take in fully what they are saying.
Terencefw.GC1
walsall. uk
Terencefw.GC1 is male  Terencefw.GC1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 05:55 PM

Its a great insight into our legal system for those who would otherwise not see the inside of a courthouse. - how did you get on with the other Jurors. we were all diverse but got on well enough to get the job done.....I wonder why you cannot do jury service after the age of 70, our Judge must have been that and more
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Terence I got on great with the other jurors except one who was a bolshie type.
In fact I often emeail a couple of them and we have a right old natter.

I suppose they think that you are to senile once your passed 70.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 08:09 AM

I wonder why you cannot do jury service after the age of 70, our Judge must have been that and more

Terry matey, - not true!!! - Judges HAVE TO retire at 70.

My Sister, (who until March) was a Magistrate. However in March she held her 70th Birthday and has now retired from the 'Bench'. This rule is equally true of judges too.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK

11-04-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I wonder why you cannot do jury service after the age of 70, our Judge must have been that and more

Terry matey, - not true!!! - Judges HAVE TO retire at 70.
Not exactly true Joe, they can have a year on year extension up to the age limit of 75.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terencefw.GC1 ->
Its a great insight into our legal system for those who would otherwise not see the inside of a courthouse. - how did you get on with the other Jurors. we were all diverse but got on well enough to get the job done.....I wonder why you cannot do jury service after the age of 70, our Judge must have been that and more
I only had to attended the induction morning and found some of the other jurors irritating. They clearly didn't listen to the things we were told and asked inane questions. Some arrived late inconveniencing everyone else. I might have throttled a couple if I had to spend a lot of time with them then I would have needed a jury myself

There were a lot of prospective jurors in my group, about 50, all in an internal room with no external lighting which I found quite claustrophobic.

I was put on standby for a few weeks with a daily procedure to check if I was needed , it was a great relief when I was able to stand down.

Had all this taken place a few years ago I would have found it all a lot easier.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 11:22 AM

I would love to get picked for jury service but never have been. My ex husband did it once for a really silly case that should never have come to court at all. I would like to do it on a really juicy case I believe on certain cases though you will be asked to look at some quite distressing photos.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2012, 11:58 AM

Dragon used to be a Magistrate many years ago. The Police had raided a 'sex shop', confiscated loads of magazines, Videos and DVDs. Dragon, with a couple of her colleagues had to determine whether this material was liable to corrupt. This meant they had to read all the magazines and watch all the videos and DVDs, some of which, she said later were 'snuff' videos.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top