Join for free
Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:23 PM

Re: Why This Napoleon Should Be Cut Down To Size!

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Justice is not a goal in this game. Otherwise the publication about the 4 russians would have taken place in april.
What is the goal?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:25 PM

And as JBR once pointed out, a deal need not be profitable for all parties.
Negotiating towards a deal, any deal, is just civilised behavior. According to article 50 the EU is obliged to negotiate, closing on a deal is not part of that obligation.
There's nothing civilised about Brexit. But I think they will agree a deal. Its in the interest of everyone.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
A deal is a pragmatic solution for all JBR. A no deal is falling down the stupid tree and hitting every branch. Unless you want to play sandpit economics a no deal is nursery level thinking.
Strange, then, that the EU negotiators don't seem too worried about agreeing one.

Once again, if we - and they - cannot agree a deal that would benefit us both (not just them), we should walk away.

If, as I believe, there are many businessmen in the EU who would like to trade with us, then leave with no deal and let them insist to their rulers that they demand a fair trading deal.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
sort of...whenever you have a pooling of resources there is a gravy train. It's really difficult to be organised and efficient as you grow larger. Too much self interest. We really need to make the EU more zen...
The EU agrees with you on this. One central government, abolishing national parliaments, is very efficient. The only one with a self interest will be the EU itself. But rename that self interest in mutual interest, and everybody is happy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-10-2018, 10:30 PM

The EU agrees with you on this. One central government, abolishing national parliaments, is very efficient. The only one with a self interest will be the EU itself. But rename that self interest in mutual interest, and everybody is happy.
Where's the accountability in such an arrangement?
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
And with the greatest respect Weedeek, smear the DM all you like. I'm sure many Leavers feel exactly the same about your EU loving leftie rags. But fortunately, and no thanks to the EU, censorship is still not on the table yet, along with free speech, so thank God for us leaving before both disappear completely.

I personally would like to thank the DM and its wonderful campaigns for us leaving as being a positive. At least they tell it as it is, and don't resort to mealy-mouthed insults because Remain lost. So you keep reading your paper and I will happily keep reading the Mail, a great paper that tells the true meaning of the word democracy, and what it means to those of us who voted to Leave!
Don’t think I’ve ever mentioned what papers I read. If you must know I occasionally read The Scotsman or The Herald, but only very occasionally and they are hardly left wing. They are, however,Scottish papers so I suppose you won’t know much about them. If the DM is your champion of democracy then good luck to you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

06-10-2018, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Strange, then, that the EU negotiators don't seem too worried about agreeing one.

Once again, if we - and they - cannot agree a deal that would benefit us both (not just them), we should walk away.

If, as I believe, there are many businessmen in the EU who would like to trade with us, then leave with no deal and let them insist to their rulers that they demand a fair trading deal.
They are worried. But for them it's not crucial. For us it is. Unless you are a financial speculator and then it's beneficial for us to have no deal so they can hedge and make a packet. So yes if you have investments that would benefit I can see why you'd be for it. But it's not a patriotic thing to want no deal because it will fork up the economy.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:36 PM

Sounds good, until you think about it.

Abolish Westminster, eh? I'm sure many people would be happy to see that!

Unfortunately, though, there is one particularly distasteful consequence of that.

At present, we the people of the UK elect each and every member of Parliament. I like that.

Under a single EU government, going by the existing Commission, we the people of the UK elect 1/28th of the members of that parliament. It would only take two other countries to disagree with us and we would be outnumbered. I don't like that very much at all!
weedeek
Dumfries, Scotland
weedeek is male  weedeek has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:58 PM

Well that's the impression I get from your posts, and your wish for a Labour government of an independent Scotland is quite amusing.

I know quite a few Scots socially and respect them and their loyalty to Scotland. None of the ones I know want Scotland to leave the UK, and I believe this is shown to be the case generally according to polls.

Nevertheless, if the majority do vote to leave the UK, I have no problem with that. Apart from anything else, it would save England a few bob.

I think that there has long been a yearning in Scotland to leave the UK and rejoin the 'Auld Alliance'. Well, if you think you can trust France, good luck to you. It didn't work out too well last time, though, did it?

By the way, my feelings are not of hate for any individual country, even France. It is more a feeling of distrust of leaderships, especially those of the EU collectively and France individually.

After all, history has taught us never to trust the Frogs!
I think things have moved on a bit since the Auld Alliance, pity some folks are mired in the past. “Never trust the Frogs”! , now there’s a reasoned argument that just shows your prejudice.
If history has taught us anything it is that we must work together but if you want to return to the days of a disunited and fractious Europe then carry on.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 11:26 PM

Sounds good, until you think about it.

Abolish Westminster, eh? I'm sure many people would be happy to see that!

Unfortunately, though, there is one particularly distasteful consequence of that.

At present, we the people of the UK elect each and every member of Parliament. I like that.

Under a single EU government, going by the existing Commission, we the people of the UK elect 1/28th of the members of that parliament. It would only take two other countries to disagree with us and we would be outnumbered. I don't like that very much at all!
Have no fear. The UK is beyond that stadium, you're out, never to return.
So for you everything in the UK is to your liking.

Page 8 of 9 « First < 6 7 8 9 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top