Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:14 PM

Do you buy British

or do you buy cheapest ?
Im really feeling like our food market is disappearing , and we should help our Farmers , Milk prices are in the news at the moment ,and i don't mind paying a little extra for Milk before we lose that to the europe market .

So are you prepared to pay more .. whats your thoughts on this ?
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:17 PM

Re: Do you buy British

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
or do you buy cheapest ?
Im really feeling like our food market is disappearing , and we should help our Farmers , Milk prices are in the news at the moment ,and i don't mind paying a little extra for Milk before we lose that to the europe market .

So are you prepared to pay more .. whats your thoughts on this ?
Definitely, if it helps our farmers out.
eddie
shropshire UK
eddie is female  eddie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:26 PM

I buy British whenever possible.
I complain to the supermarket if they stock imported fresh food when locally grown is available.
I would pay more for milk if it means that farmers are getting a fair price.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:27 PM

I'm amazed that farmers continue to produce dairy, any with any acumen should have diversified into other markets a while ago. There is a world glut of milk at the moment and the wtiting has been on the wall predicting this situation for years so I struggle to sympathise too much....

Having said that the price in the supermarkets is ridiculously low and they should be ashamed using such an important foodstuff as a loss leader.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:27 PM

I buy from local producers when I can. It helps that I live out in the countryside surrounded by orchards and farms.

My milk delivered by Mark the milkman comes from a local dairy supplied by 40 farms within a thirty mile radius of here.
I don't think I can get more local

Some of the cows that provide my milk..

I pay what I have to pay, having fresh milk delivered into the countryside particularly in the winter is a service worth paying for. Supermarket milk in plastic cartons doesn't taste nearly so good.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:28 PM

where I live we are surrounded by farms and I haven't met a poor farmer yet
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Same here Wishbone....but having said that Id still pay more for fresh British milk /cheese and butter too . Im quite fortunate as I buy my freshly laid eggs from neighbour and she often has freshly picked on the day vegetables for sale as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:39 PM

I have yet to see a poor farmer. All the equipment-all the land they own -poor?

I don't think so
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 07:43 PM

I buy British when I can, not always possible, but I recently read that M&S, Waitrose and Co op give the farmers a fair price and I usually buy from them. We had a milkman deliver ours until a few years ago and have to say it tasted much better from a glass bottle!
I buy British meat from Aldi or Lidl and M&S, sometimes, though we're not big meat eaters.
The fruit and veg are from local greengrocers so, hopefully, locally sourced.

If we don't support them now it'll be no use complaining when we have to import ALL our milk - and the price will be determined by foreign markets, it's more expensive in France, for instance..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2015, 08:09 PM

Supermarkets raising the price of milk won't fix anything. It will just increase their profits. The farmers will get little of that extra revenue and will be left in the same squeezed position.

To break the cycle for milk and a whole host of other products, consumers MUST realise the destructive nature of supermarkets and vote with their feet by buying their produce from other sources no matter how inconvenient that might be.

Then we can re-establish good local trades, butchers, bakers, green-grocers and so on.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top