Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Is this the future for computers ?

http://uk.pcmag.com/news/32803/dutch...eportation-bre ................might be.
Linden Tree
Derbyshire, UK
Linden Tree is female  Linden Tree has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-05-2014, 08:46 PM

Re: Is this the future for computers ?

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
http://uk.pcmag.com/news/32803/dutch...eportation-bre ................might be.
I sometimes find it quite scary what they can do these days.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 08:42 AM

Fascinating. Not sure I understand it right but it seems that qubits are separated and are able to detect the changes the other undergoes over quite a distance. The way a computer works is very simple - or it used to be - in that it is all to do with binary - zero and 1. I suppose if loads of these 'entangled qubits' are controlled in the same manner information can pass between them, and instantaneously.

Truly amazing what people are working on these days.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I will not hold my breath Alan,im still waiting for the Cold Fusion they promised us would solve everything.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2014, 05:35 PM

Fascinating what they are on the brink of now, I wish they'd hurry up with the transporter, I hate flying and that would be right up my street to see my Nephew and Nieces in Australia.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2014, 02:43 PM

The theory is apparently sound, but it can only be for inanimate objects.

Once you try living tissue, there will have to be degradation. Things like synapse firing for thoughts etc are instantaneous so any teleportation would have to match that at the very least.

I love Star Trek, but teleportation is something that I can't see happening until the 24th century...!
Annabelle
Tasmania Australia
Annabelle is female 

26-06-2014, 03:13 AM

I think it will be a long time before I can be transported straight from my easy chair to my bed without having to actually move!
Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Fascinating what they are on the brink of now, I wish they'd hurry up with the transporter, I hate flying and that would be right up my street to see my Nephew and Nieces in Australia.
I don't think we'll ever see teleportation Jem, quantum physics seems to exclude it. You can't know both the position AND momentum of particles at the quantum level (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle). So therefore you can't accurately 'scan' a physical object prior to teleporting it.

It's one of what, to me, are the 4/5 big "no-no's" in science fiction.

ie ...

Teleportation
Time travel to the past
Perpetual motion
Faster than light transmittal of information in normal space
and probably anti-gravity as well.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Annabelle ->
I think it will be a long time before I can be transported straight from my easy chair to my bed without having to actually move!
That's easier design an easy chair that converts into your bed at the touch of a button. Now where did I put that remote.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2014, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rob B ->
I don't think we'll ever see teleportation Jem, quantum physics seems to exclude it. You can't know both the position AND momentum of particles at the quantum level (Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle). So therefore you can't accurately 'scan' a physical object prior to teleporting it.

It's one of what, to me, are the 4/5 big "no-no's" in science fiction.

ie ...

Teleportation
Time travel to the past
Perpetual motion
Faster than light transmittal of information in normal space
and probably anti-gravity as well.
Never heard of those before Rob, thanks for informing me. I notice you said ‘Probably’ anti gravity, so there may be some hope there, I would really like to see them come to grips with that one, the heavens would truly open up if we managed to crack that, considering most of the weight of a spacecraft is fuel and it’s containers, and thats just to get it out of the gravity pull and put a satellite into orbit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top