Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 01:47 PM

Coastal rock pools

When I was a child I remember having hours of fun looking in coastal rock pools at all the life there - urchins, anemones, crabs and much more.
Now those same pools appear to be lifeless.
What has happened to cause this change?
Artemis
USA
Artemis is female 

08-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Re: Coastal rock pools

I have those same great memories. I have always been fascinated by sea life and used to have salt water aquariums. As an adult I would bring back hermit crabs and sometimes star fish in small aquariums for the students at my son's school to enjoy as many had never even seen the ocean.

It does seem as though the beaches we visit are overwhelmed with tourists these days and possibly that is part of the reason the sea life seems to be diminishing in some areas. Shell collectors and hobbyists have over picked the area, but there are still places you can go which are protected to view nature in its natural habitat.

Here's a link to a few on the west coast of the USA.

http://www.visitcalifornia.com/Artic...otected-Areas/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 03:49 PM

My local coastal patch has daily rockpool rambles run by the local council via the lighthouse visitor center, still seems a steady supply of crabs and small fish, and shrimps but its a while since ive seen a starfish.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Artemis ->

It does seem as though the beaches we visit are overwhelmed with tourists these days and possibly that is part of the reason the sea life seems to be diminishing in some areas. Shell collectors and hobbyists have over picked the area, but there are still places you can go which are protected to view nature in its natural habitat.
But here in rural Ireland there is no rush to the beaches so I don't think there is any mass effect of tourism. And the rock pools I refer to are ALL those on this coast line, as far as I can see.
My gut instinct is that it is due to some sort of environmental change within the sea, probably due to some man-made cause like fish farms or increased motor boats. Or even something like acid rain?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world

08-09-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
My local coastal patch has daily rockpool rambles run by the local council via the lighthouse visitor center, still seems a steady supply of crabs and small fish, and shrimps but its a while since ive seen a starfish.
And what about anemones and urchins?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
And what about anemones and urchins?
Certainly see anemones, but not urchins.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 03:05 PM

I haven't seen much change here. The rock pools still seem to have plenty of life about them. I've not found urchins in the pools, but judging by the number of shells I see, they must be quite plentiful.. Loads of anemones.

Orangutan, do you ever gather and eat dulse?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2014, 03:48 PM

While on holiday in Devon with my grandchildren last month, we saw plenty of crabs and tiny fish but little else...
Rob B
Solihull, UK
Rob B is male  Rob B has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:17 AM

Although I now live in the UK Midlands, I was born and brung up in Torquay, South Devon, and, yes, like most small boys I spent endless hours poking around in rock pools annoying the inhabitants. The usual suspects were all there, anemones, sponges, prawns, small crabs and little fish caught by the outgoing tide, blennies I think. I once found a trapped three foot conger eel in a pool, it looked extremely pissed off so I left it alone. I don't know about nowadays, but back in the 50s/60s, Torbay seemed to have annual plagues of small jellyfish which were washed ashore in the summer and stank the place out. Oh, and one dead pilot whale, I seem to remember.

We often holiday down in Cornwall out of season and, of course, go for beach walks and I can say that, at least down there, nothing much has changed, apart from the type of flotsam and jetsam you find now. Once a few years back, the whole of the South West Cornwall shoreline was littered with literally thousands of disposable lighters, I assume a container had been lost from a ship.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Try looking in the rock pools as the tide is on its way out and the water in the pool is still active, you see more life then, when the water in the pools is still, they are usually lifeless. I envy the TV presenters who fill a bucket with fishy things from one rock pool, I wish that I knew where that pool existed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top