Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:12 AM

Down your way (or possibly up your way)

I have a hopeless sense of direction & use primitive methods to help myself.
e.g.
Sun comes up in East, that's Eastbourne way.
Sun goes down in west, think Weston Super Mare.
South is Southampton
North lies Northampton.

The odd thing about locating places is the common practice of giving imaginary directions such as,
I'M GOING OVER/down to, across to, up to, over to.
Who decides whether your position is any of the above?

I say to my son "Come on down" & he replies "I'll come on over" it puzzles me.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:35 AM

Re: Down your way (or possibly up your way)

I've always found it useful to know that Meriden is at the centre of the Meridian.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:42 AM

Robert - it sounds like you are exploring your female side. I thought it was us wimmin who get accused of being spatially/geographically challenged?

I like to turn a map upside down etc to make it easier to check a route, and I often have to check which hand my wedding ring is on, to ensure I've put the left on the left, as it were. If asked for directions by someone in a car I have to half close my eyes and imagine doing the journey, moving the appropriate hand to illustrate left or right. Poor drivers - must regret asking the mad woman!

Oh, a mnemonic my children taught me, all those years ago - Never Eat Shredded Wheat. The compass points, starting from 'North at the top' and going clockwise. NESW
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:43 AM

I can get lost in the supermarket absolutely no sense of direction at all. I am in awe of anyone who can find their way around.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:43 AM

I think it is geographically determined unless it's short distances, in which case over, across, along, around, are all fine
I think, I don't know!
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
I have a hopeless sense of direction & use primitive methods to help myself.
e.g.
Sun comes up in East, that's Eastbourne way.
Sun goes down in west, think Weston Super Mare.
South is Southampton
North lies Northampton.

The odd thing about locating places is the common practice of giving imaginary directions such as,
I'M GOING OVER/down to, across to, up to, over to.
Who decides whether your position is any of the above?

I say to my son "Come on down" & he replies "I'll come on over" it puzzles me.
Direction is from the perspective of placement, i.e. FROM that point. The green grocer might think that you are COMING to collect your vegetables but from your perspective you are GOING to collect them. South Africans on the other hand say, "I'm COMING just now!" despite the fact that they cannot possibly be "coming" just now because they are actually "going" just now and won't be "coming" until they've arrived. It's all very simple really, don't you think?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 11:11 AM

I can now see why, sometimes, one does not know if they are coming or going.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 11:34 AM

I always marvel at the way in American films they say things like, "He's heading south on such and such street"
How do they know which direction it is?

South Africans also say," I'm coming now, now'" which is a lot more urgent!
eddie
shropshire UK
eddie is female  eddie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 11:36 AM

After reading this thread feel so much better about my total lack of any direction finding gene. I too have to turn maps upside down to navigate when hubby's driving. A fact he finds hilarious. If he is giving me directions he will often say wedding ring side!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 11:37 AM

I have a very poor sense of direction!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top