Join for free
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Changes to Google News.

I don't watch TV so don't see the news. I used to use Google News sometimes two to three times a day to keep up with developing situation's
I find the BBC iPlayer news to be annoying as it sometimes carries the most stupid news items that I don't need to know.
Item 3 on the BBC iPlayer news as I write this is about a child giving a teacher an end of term gift with words replaced with chocolate bars. Is this really news?
Google over the past couple of days have changed their news page, from the easy to read list of news items to click on for further information, with a card type presentation with far fewer news items with having to swipe all over the place to find stories.
Please can anyone recommend to me what sensible, up to date, reliable news I can find on the internet, easy to read and NO trashy stories about "celebrity's" having sex with other "celebrity's" on TV as I'm not interested in that sort of news.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Re: Changes to Google News.

You'll be hard to find one that don't broadcast crap, even the BBC of late have had to concede to. the Chav Factor
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I don't watch TV so don't see the news. I used to use Google News sometimes two to three times a day to keep up with developing situation's
I find the BBC iPlayer news to be annoying as it sometimes carries the most stupid news items that I don't need to know.
Item 3 on the BBC iPlayer news as I write this is about a child giving a teacher an end of term gift with words replaced with chocolate bars. Is this really news?
Google over the past couple of days have changed their news page, from the easy to read list of news items to click on for further information, with a card type presentation with far fewer news items with having to swipe all over the place to find stories.
Please can anyone recommend to me what sensible, up to date, reliable news I can find on the internet, easy to read and NO trashy stories about "celebrity's" having sex with other "celebrity's" on TV as I'm not interested in that sort of news.
Sadly, I don't think there's much to choose from. It's very annoying when you are trying to read an article but all you get is ads and links in between the text. Then there's all that waiting around while the page loads causing it to flip up and down. I tend not to bother too much.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Hi MC, Google changed their page a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was in the wrong place and was most annoyed by the new format

It's the same with so many things, you get used to it then someone decide it needs 'upgrading'....
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi MC, Google changed their page a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was in the wrong place and was most annoyed by the new format

It's the same with so many things, you get used to it then someone decide it needs 'upgrading'....
I saw the change and tried to see if there was an alternative but no. Then for the last two days it went back to the old style, hurrah. No today it back to the new.
I've been looking at online papers and so far the Independent has a nice layout and doesn't have many silly stories, the problem is the subscription is £147 pa.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 01:02 PM

They changed it a few weeks ago so you are lucky you still had the old format.

There is a site called newsnow which was recommended to me once and is a hub of countless news sources. It's a bit clunky but has lots of material.
Mondays child
United Kingdom

29-07-2017, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Hi Meg, yes I agree. I don't think its just me being an old fuddy duddy as it is more awkward to read.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They changed it a few weeks ago so you are lucky you still had the old format.

There is a site called newsnow which was recommended to me once and is a hub of countless news sources. It's a bit clunky but has lots of material.
Hi AnneS , thank you I will have a look. I know news is usually bad news but I still like to keep up with it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mondays child ->
I saw the change and tried to see if there was an alternative but no. Then for the last two days it went back to the old style, hurrah. No today it back to the new.
I've been looking at online papers and so far the Independent has a nice layout and doesn't have many silly stories, the problem is the subscription is £147 pa.
Blimey! I can't believe how expensive it is. I think I would rather not know.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:28 PM

I wondered what happened to Google news, I now use the BBC news for my homepage but it's nowhere near as good as Google news used to be because with Google you could take your news from all different sources.

Like you MC, I try to avoid all the biased rubbish but like to keep up with what's happening in the world. I find myself censoring the news myself, and just concentrate on the items that seem to be reported in a fair and truthful manner, but it's not easy, especially with the BBC.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2017, 10:33 PM

What google want is for you to sign in with your MS google account and change the preferences, but then they know it's you and can target you with advertising and stuff after checking what you read.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top