Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 09:51 PM

Re: Can I Refuse to Update My Windows PC/Laptop?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, I'm not sure, but I suspect that the earlier versions were also the same.
It was easy not to accept the downloads JB, I don't think I ever had one update in the five years I used Vista, or the five years I used Windows 7. When I first used windows 10 last year I was so surprised to learn that my use of 'Office 360' was subscription only.....

I'm still using excel on my desktop pc running Vista. The computer is incapable of connecting to the internet and it makes a good safe haven for my important stuff...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Actually, I'm not sure, but I suspect that the earlier versions were also the same.
I was just about to play the pedant, but I got out my Ancient Frank Sinatra Disks & there are no warnings, about copying or selling on, written on them.

I think I agree with your old versions but, how would they get at you if there are no warnings?

Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 11:09 PM

Control of Windows Updates (and by that I mean does the user have control or Microsoft) is an ongoing battle fought through many rounds over many years

Some years ago, disabling the updates was simply a matter of stopping a service

Microsoft retaliated and added a schedule to re-enable the service.

So now the fix was to disable the service and the schedule.

....and so the cat and mouse chase starts.

The last time I looked at this the latest mouse was to remove certain permissions from the folder that Microsoft use to download the updates to, rendering that unusable to the update system and hence halting the updates
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
It was easy not to accept the downloads JB, I don't think I ever had one update in the five years I used Vista, or the five years I used Windows 7. When I first used windows 10 last year I was so surprised to learn that my use of 'Office 360' was subscription only.....

I'm still using excel on my desktop pc running Vista. The computer is incapable of connecting to the internet and it makes a good safe haven for my important stuff...
Yes, sensible.

I keep all my stuff backed up on two external hard drives, so I feel quite happy that my stuff is safe.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-10-2020, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
Control of Windows Updates (and by that I mean does the user have control or Microsoft) is an ongoing battle fought through many rounds over many years

Some years ago, disabling the updates was simply a matter of stopping a service

Microsoft retaliated and added a schedule to re-enable the service.

So now the fix was to disable the service and the schedule.

....and so the cat and mouse chase starts.

The last time I looked at this the latest mouse was to remove certain permissions from the folder that Microsoft use to download the updates to, rendering that unusable to the update system and hence halting the updates
Not being expert enough to do such things, the best I have come up with is to adjust my settings to show that I am on a 'metered connection' (which I'm not!) and that my hours of work are from 0800 to 0200. They can download updates, then, between 0200 and 0800, but as my computer is never turned on during those hours they cannot do so.

It has worked so far, and the best Microsoft can do is to keep sending me 'reminders' at increasing levels of frequency. The most recent ones appeared every hour until I eventually got fed up of declining them and accepted an upgrade (2004) which, incidentally, took about an hour and a half.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
– Snip –

I don't have any experience of Mac computers and their updates but a little research brought up this page..

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac-...#toc-3690189-1

– Snip –
Thanks for that interesting link Mart. I am running Mac OS Catalina 10.16.7 and I’ve not experienced any problems with Mac updates. For that reason I’ve never had to check anything out, perhaps I am just lucky in that way? I usually wait a week or so to see if there are any serious problems with any update, there seldom are. If there are none in that time I download the update.
I reckon it's not worth risking any security problems by totally ignoring the updates.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Thanks for that interesting link Mart. I am running Mac OS Catalina 10.16.7 and I’ve not experienced any problems with Mac updates. For that reason I’ve never had to check anything out, perhaps I am just lucky in that way? I usually wait a week or so to see if there are any serious problems with any update, there seldom are. If there are none in that time I download the update.
I reckon it's not worth risking any security problems by totally ignoring the updates.
I must be lucky with W.10 updates and don't seem to get any of the reported problems. I think what Bruce has said (somewhere) in the past is right. The problems encountered only apply to a small proportion of the total number of users.

I install updates for all devices that are in the household as soon as they become available. These use Windows, Android and Linux platforms. We did have a Mac tablet that gave good service but it has become old now and isn't used any more. Updates were always accepted while it was in use.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 10:33 AM

Windows 10 has 1,000,000,000 users - if my calculations are correct then if 1% are affected by an issue that's 10,000,000 .....
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-10-2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
I must be lucky with W.10 updates and don't seem to get any of the reported problems. I think what Bruce has said (somewhere) in the past is right. The problems encountered only apply to a small proportion of the total number of users.
Or it could be that the updates go out early to "Windows Insiders", and other pre-arranged trial groups , before they are "staged" out to the everyday user.

That way, fixes could be already being included before the updates reach a high percentage of the "masses".

My advice, "Wait to update - update late"

!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

02-10-2020, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Baz,

My sneaky streak says that, if I have to pay twice the price, of a W10 PC, to buy a MAC, I'd buy two W10 PCs and update them, one at a time to avoid trouble.

I, also. thought that Mac users could, more recently, be allowed to install W10 as a secondary system, maybe I'm wrong on that, but if they can, won't they get the nasty updates?

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top