Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 12:39 PM

Re: What are they saying ?

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
We seem to be talking at cross-purposes. I was talking about being treated with respect, NOT what someone else thinks.

But, we are getting of the track, again. The subject is what a person is trying to project by how he/she dresses. Please, do not ignore the main topic.

A few posts back, I posted photos of 3 young women. What do you think they are trying to project ????? Hint: certainly not "I a highly educated, professional, business woman."
I’m not off topic at all. How one perceives another is based on the viewers judgments. You said if you walked into a restaurant with a 3 piece suite on you’d get noticed and respected by the staff. I stated that it could possibly be for monetary reasons. You might be a big tipper. People HAVE to judge you first before making any type of assessment and how they judge you depends on their past experience. Some people might judge you wearing a 3 business business suite as being an arrogant hotshot who thinks he’s better than anyone else.

How another person appears to others has more to do with their judgments and past experiences. Young boys viewing those women might view the woman as hot stuff since they have no previous experience. Some others might look at those women and think they look too provocative. You make it seem like there’s only one answer and that answer is ‘only’ the one that comes from your mind and the only way that could happen is if we think exactly like you. Not everyone thinks the same way which is a GREAT thing.

How you feel about the three pictures you presented is your personal viewpoint. There might be plenty of people who agree with you. I might be one of them, but that doesn’t make us right. It just means we both judge those people the same way.

You appear to me missing all the reasons why people make judgments. How does someone treat you with respect without first thinking how they feel about you and how they feel about is based on their past judgments. If men in business suites have treated them poorly in the past then they might instantly treat you with respect so my answer is EXACTLY on topic.

Peoples judgments are precisely based on how a person thinks and we don’t ALL THINK ALIKE! It appears like you tripped yourself up with your own question and personal judgments.

Your original question was : what are people saying with what they are wearing? Unless we ALL have the same mindset, we aren’t all going to have the same answers. It’s not that complicated bakerman.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 12:41 PM

When I became self-employed many years ago, I used to do my day's work, go home, get showered and change into some decent clothes before calling on customers to give them prices and estimates for work. The change of clothes probably gave the impression that I didn't work for a living, just drove to customer's homes as a paid salesman because my attire didn't suit my job as an electrician.

As soon as started calling at properties in my work-clothes, everything changed because people have a perception of what a manual worker, as opposed to an office worker, should look like. Have never been out of work since.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So what exactly are they projecting? That they are ‘up for it’ and ‘asking for it’?
Not... that they like wearing those clothes because they are trendy, ideal for the weather and hot pubs and clubs?
Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Prostitution
Well, both answers may be correct. However, it seems to me, that they are saying, loudly and clearly, 'I am smokin' hot. Men wish they could have me, and women are jealous of me'.

The men, it seems to me, are saying, in various ways, 'I am an alpha male, and powerful.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
When I became self-employed many years ago, I used to do my day's work, go home, get showered and change into some decent clothes before calling on customers to give them prices and estimates for work. The change of clothes probably gave the impression that I didn't work for a living, just drove to customer's homes as a paid salesman because my attire didn't suit my job as an electrician.

As soon as started calling at properties in my work-clothes, everything changed because people have a perception of what a manual worker, as opposed to an office worker, should look like. Have never been out of work since.
Precisely ! As soon as you kept wearing your work clothes you were saying, "I am a REAL electrician. " Therefore, you attained your goal of getting more jobs.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 06:58 PM

Precisely ! As soon as you kept wearing your work clothes you were saying, "I am a REAL electrician. " Therefore, you attained your goal of getting more jobs.
Bakerman, The thing is, if Judd had gone to a Rolls Royce dealership to buy a Rolls Royce in his work clothes they wouldn't have taken him seriously.
Yet, if he had worn an expensive suit, they’d be all over him!!

It’s a funny old world isn’t it!!
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2020, 07:10 PM

Bakerman, The thing is, if Judd had gone to a Rolls Royce dealership to buy a Rolls Royce in his work clothes they wouldn't have taken him seriously.

Yes it’s called shallow. That goodness not everyone thinks like this.
bakerman
Mexico

20-10-2020, 07:45 PM

Yes, quite true. The thing is that we can wear clothing to fit the occasion. It all depends upon what we wish to project. Someone/anyone, male or female, who hopes to attract the opposite sex, is wise to be well groomed and wearing clothing not only that makes them look good but also says something about who they are.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

20-10-2020, 07:55 PM

This might prove true for first impressions but luckily not everyone is like this.
If you aren’t wealthy and can’t afford nice clothes, should people be looked down on because of it? What about the guy who can’t afford a nice tailor made suite? Should he get less respect? If the person acts polite and respectful towards others, of course he/ they shouldn’t.
bakerman
Mexico

20-10-2020, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
This might prove true for first impressions but luckily not everyone is like this.
If you aren’t wealthy and can’t afford nice clothes, should people be looked down on because of it? What about the guy who can’t afford a nice tailor made suite? Should he get less respect? If the person acts polite and respectful towards others, of course he/ they shouldn’t.

My, my, my. You do insist on talking about what OTHERS think about us. That is NOT the subject of this thread. The subject of this thread is WHAT WE ARE SAYING ABOUT OURSELVES when we select what to wear. Please re-read my 1st post.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada

20-10-2020, 11:14 PM

It is my contention that when we choose which clothes to wear, we are saying something. If hanging around the house or working in the garden, others seldom see us , so it doesn't matter too much.

However, when we are going out into the public, what we select says a great deal about us. this is especially true if we are going out to a big event; perhaps a dinner party ?

What are the following people saying ?
Originally Posted by Bratti ->
They ALL say ‘I’m sexy and I know it ‘
My, my, my. You do insist on talking about what OTHERS think about us. That is NOT the subject of this thread. The subject of this thread is WHAT WE ARE SAYING ABOUT OURSELVES when we select what to wear. Please re-read my 1st post.
Yes I read the first post and understand it hence my first answer. What I’m saying is that first impressions aren’t always accurate. In order to answer your question a person needs to dive into their own judgments about people and we aren’t ‘always’ right AND being me, Ive looked far deeper than I need to. That’s all. I’ll drop it now. It’s giving me a headache.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top