Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 09:11 AM

Re: Are You Common If You Hang Your Washing Out On A Washing Line?

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I don’t hang out washing since the lady next door got very confrontational accusing me of stealing her underwear from her washing line....I can tell you...I nearly pooped her pants.....
Primus, That is very funny, it made me smile for ages. In fact, l have been really impressed by all the wittiness on this thread.

Oh, and it seems we are all ‘common’ but there is nothing nicer than fresh smelling washing off a washing line.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 09:27 AM

I feel proud of my gleaming white cotton sheets when hanging them on the line, my neighbours washing always looks grey, she doesn't separate things properly.

I would say hanging washing out is the sign of a good housekeeper , 'common' is the lazy hussies who sit around painting their nails with concern only for their appearance instead of keeping their houses and laundry spotless
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I feel proud of my gleaming white cotton sheets when hanging them on the line, my neighbours washing always looks grey, she doesn't separate things properly.

I would say hanging washing out is the sign of a good housekeeper , 'common' is the lazy hussies who sit around painting their nails with concern only for their appearance instead of keeping their houses and laundry spotless
I don't paint my nails, but I sometimes sharpen my chisels!

Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I've just had a memory flashback from many years ago when a friend moved into a nice village . She told me that first week she had quite a bit of bedding and washing to do so she hung it out in the garden . A neighbour called round to tell her that no one in the area hung washing out on the line on a Sunday and would she take it in right away .

She did too . How awkward

If you look through the history books, it's stems from the religious notion that working on the 'sabbath' (Sunday for Christians) is considered a sin because the sabbath is a day of rest and worship. In the 1800's Wash houses were built which allowed the public to do their laundry. During those times laundry whilst a necessary chore, it was classed as 'work' and as such, no work was allowed on a sabbath day which meant no laundry. laundry seen on a washing line on a sabbath day meant people were working that day and working on such a day was considered a sin.

Some people still hold such values today. I wonder if the neighbour is religious, or the village has strong roots to religion which the villagers follow still to this day.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 12:36 PM

Dodge , interesting concept but it seemed she was told the neighbours didn't want to look out of their windows at neighbours washing ! I dont think it was religion but who knows.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

How people have changed! When I was at home, most women had a sense of pride in hanging out their clean washing. When it was dry I always loved to help bring it in as it smelled so fresh!
Perhaps that is why so many people feel the need to put scented conditioner in their washers & dryers now!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Dodge , interesting concept but it seemed she was told the neighbours didn't want to look out of their windows at neighbours washing ! I dont think it was religion but who knows.
If not religion related then the only other answer is her neighbours are snobs.

I think it was in the UK where there was a case of 'washing line snobbery'. One of the main tabloid papers picked up on a story of a woman being shammed by a local because she hung her underwear in plain sight on her washing line and had a note posted through her letter box asking not to do the same again.

Fresh air does clothes the world of good.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2020, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
How people have changed! When I was at home, most women had a sense of pride in hanging out their clean washing. When it was dry I always loved to help bring it in as it smelled so fresh!
Perhaps that is why so many people feel the need to put scented conditioner in their washers & dryers now!

Living in a flat my mum wasn't able to hang washing in the garden (no idea how she dried it) but I do remember when I stayed at my grandparents, how nice the washing smelled. I remember the fresh smell of the sheets and the sound of House Martins nesting in the eaves.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2020, 01:07 PM

I'm getting really interested in the devices used in the local Laundry shop.

Washing Machine first, then wet stuff is hung on a frame and dried with a steamer (not a luxury liner!), whereupon all of the creases drop out and the stuff is wearable instantly.

Nobody can call that "Common".

Looking to buy the kit asap!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2020, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Hi Twink the scent of freshly washed and dried sheets is lovely isn't it and claiming into sheets that smell of fresh air is a joy ...

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top