Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-10-2020, 11:49 PM

Re: Least favorite childhood food!

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
I'm with you on that one Tiff as those small bones are just too much faff. I do like anchovies from a tin though as by the time they reach my plate, the bones have all been absorbed or thoroughly softened during the canning process :thumbup:
I thought I liked anchovies until very recently when I ordered a hot and spicy pizza and had anchovies added as an extra. The anchovies were just too salty so I picked them all off. Very disappointing.

I agree about the fish bones. In Asia the fish is usually served whole and you take what you need, I stick to the backbone area because there is less chance of getting those small bones. My Chinese friends are quite happy to pick them out, personally they are just too much trouble. (I dislike crabs for the same reason - a lot of effort for a small amount of meat)
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:27 AM

When it comes to kippers John West canned kippers (in oil) are very nice on hot toast - no bones at all. They have dissolved in the canning process.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:36 AM

Tripe & Onions.

"The Poor Children, in Stalingrad, would love to be able to eat this food, and you turn up your noses at it"

"I'd send it , if I could!"

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
mushrooms, honey, soup, never into bread but then I've since found a gluten problem. just happy nobody forced me to eat tripe as a child. Just my dad used to eat it. Soup is a funny one. it's a great survival food. Am I the only one with a soup problem? I was talking to a colleague about this recently, about being in the mood for soup. Are we too fussy these days?
I'd be going hungry most of the time if I couldn't eat Mushrooms, Honey, Soup, or Bread Annie....

Not so much the mushrooms, but I have soup for lunch nearly every other day through the week with a couple of slices of thick toast on the side.....And I have honey every day on my porridge....
But never Tripe.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
When it comes to kippers John West canned kippers (in oil) are very nice on hot toast - no bones at all. They have dissolved in the canning process.
Now you're talking Todger, used to take them to work in sandwiches.....Yum Yum! Never tried them on toast, but I will now.....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
mushrooms, honey, soup, never into bread but then I've since found a gluten problem. just happy nobody forced me to eat tripe as a child. Just my dad used to eat it. Soup is a funny one. it's a great survival food. Am I the only one with a soup problem? I was talking to a colleague about this recently, about being in the mood for soup. Are we too fussy these days?
Soup? I don't know if is a problem but I have never seen the point of soup, it is unsatisfactory as either a meal or a drink because it is neither.

The Chinese get away with it as their so called soup is mostly solid food just in a spicy liquid which you can use to flavour rice.

I wouldn't even say thank you for western soup.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 02:16 PM

As a rule I just ate whatever I was given but I remember disliking swede for some reason maybe it was always woody..... didn't mean I didn't eat it though ... my mum had very strict table rules one was to eat what you were given
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by bloggsy ->
Mine was sprouts and still is
Sprouts - me too. Also swede, parsnips, kale and spring greens.
I used to stay with my aunt and one of the cousins loved sprouts and hated batter pudding. I forced myself to swap with her .....
I love baked beans (could easily eat them with any meal) and potatoes inany form except mashed. I also love chips and gravy. My partner disagrees big time.
Scott
New Member!
Utah
Scott is male 

31-10-2020, 11:38 PM

Liver and lima beans. They make me gag....

I don’t eat chocolate either, so there ya go.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 12:09 AM

Coq au Vin.

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top