Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 02:02 PM

Re: What would you never put together?

@ Aerolor, I believe that originally, way back when, Yorkshire pud was served with lashings of thick onion gravy, before the main meal. The idea being that it filled you up, as there would have been very little meat. On some foodie programme on tv recently they showed how the pudding was cooked underneath the meat which was cooked directly on the rack/shelf/or spit above so the meat juices/drippings fell down onto the pudding basting and enriching and flavouring it. Prior to actually trying this out they were a little dubious as to how it would turn out thinking it would not rise properly and taste too greasy. But oh my word, it came out huge and all the tasters rated it the best of the three versions they made. Have to say it looked delish. Oh yes and can remember my mother often putting a yorkshire in the oven just as we sat down to eat, and serving it with sugar or jam as pudding. Sounds like your original hosts decided to combine both the starter and pudding version, maybe had heard of both and not sure which was correct
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 02:13 PM

And another response to Aerolor, many years ago had been unwell so not got to the shops, son on his way home from school and could not think what to do for dinner. Now I knew that he loved corned beef and potato pies/pasties, so I simply prepared creamed spuds, stuck some thickish slices of corned beef under the grill to heat through (which actually not only makes it soft but also seems to reduce the salty taste) and heated up a tin of beans, dinner sorted. He loved it and have to say I quite enjoyed it myself and we still have it some 25 years later. I thought I had 'invented' the meal, but here is the funny thing, I read a lot, mainly thrillers/detective/horror type but occasionally take out what my librarian refers to as my 'bits of fluff' a rom. com. maybe, or something set in 30's 40's , and some time ago, months apart, I read two books, one set in Birmingham just after the war, and one in S Wales between the wars, both were family dramas, and both at some point had a dad left to bring up young kiddies alone, and both dads, trying to think of what to feed their little 'uns came up with the exact same meal, corned beef, mashed potato and beans.
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:07 PM

Years ago when we moved from Midlands to North of England, we were all constantly feeling hungry.
Eventually my Mother made a yorkshire pudding batter with corned beef and onions in it, baked in oven on a large baking tray. We enjoyed it, and it did the trick, filled us up and ever after we were only normally hungry.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
Years ago when we moved from Midlands to North of England, we were all constantly feeling hungry.
Eventually my Mother made a yorkshire pudding batter with corned beef and onions in it, baked in oven on a large baking tray. We enjoyed it, and it did the trick, filled us up and ever after we were only normally hungry.
Valerie darlin' - there used to be a pub (not sure whether its still there) in Huddersfield - used to serve yorkshire pudding sandwiches - a yorkshire pudding 12" in diameter, with slices of beef and an onion gravy, topped with yet another yorkshire pudding the same size and a pile of chips placed on top!!! - Was fabulous, but notwithstanding my enormous appetite it almost (but not quite) beat me.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 07:22 PM

Very ineresting DaisyMay, especially the bit about the beef juices dripping onto the Yorkshire pud underneath. I could eat that, but never fancied it with jam or anything else sweetwith it and probably because we never had it at home I don't fancy corned beef either, although I know corned beef hash is popular.
Uncle Joe - the mind boggles at the challenge of a Yorkshire pudding sandwich, but I would have a go at sharing one with you.

What does hot pickled red cabbage go with - or not go with? - darned if I know.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

25-03-2013, 07:34 PM

I know you can buy the large yorkshire puds with all sorts of fillings now, so this is really just a step further. Have to admit when I read 'yorkshire pudding sandwich' my mind boggled at the thought of a sandwich filled with a yorkshire pudding! And of course the trick of the sweet yorkshire is to remember NOT to add salt/pepper etc to the batter, after all that is all it is, a batter pudding. A Clafouti (http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast...Clafoutis.html) is basically the same as a toad in the hole except it is made with cherries and unseasoned batter. And pretty delish it is too. Never tried but am sure can be done with other fruit too.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 07:48 PM

That is a very popular sweet here in france .... Im not over keen give me proper sticky toffee pud any day
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
What does hot pickled red cabbage go with - or not go with? - darned if I know.
Some nice old cheddar, sliced apples and cold chicken. Would do me nicely for lunch (except I can't do dairy now)
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2013, 11:14 PM

sometimes have pickled red cabbage - cold with hot cottage pie
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-03-2013, 01:22 AM

Pickled red cabbage goes well with an Irish stew.
Just bought dark choc with orange and saw dark choc with chilli and I thought NO

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top