Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

09-05-2013, 06:19 AM

cooking pineapples!

someone around here could have been AJ or BV mentioned cooking pineapples with a nice coating - can't find it or remember it - come on gals spill the beans!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Re: cooking pineapples!

I mentioned one (I think when Annie did as well). My version is fresh (or tinned) pineapple, sliced, coated in icing sugar then place under a hot grill until sugar melts and caramelises. Leave to cool a little and eat. Bananas are also nice done this way.

Pineapple fritters are another one but using Chinese batter instead of our heavier batter: use equal quantities of SR flour and cornflour (about 1/3rd of a cup each), 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and about 1/3 cup warm water, as needed. Coat pineapple slices (tinned, not worth wasting fresh pineapple on this one) in flour and dip in batter then fry gently until batter is cooked.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

09-05-2013, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I mentioned one (I think when Annie did as well). My version is fresh (or tinned) pineapple, sliced, coated in icing sugar then place under a hot grill until sugar melts and caramelises. Leave to cool a little and eat. Bananas are also nice done this way.

Pineapple fritters are another one but using Chinese batter instead of our heavier batter: use equal quantities of SR flour and cornflour (about 1/3rd of a cup each), 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and about 1/3 cup warm water, as needed. Coat pineapple slices (tinned, not worth wasting fresh pineapple on this one) in flour and dip in batter then fry gently until batter is cooked.
great BV - I fell in love with cooking at a late stage and have explored ever since - tonight I cooked fresh Tasmanian salmon - quick fried and then served with a fetta Nicoise salad - just been researching salads and there are so many great ones from Europe rather than Uk! - a new world has opened!

my Da used to give us a treat as kids - bananas soaked in batter and then fried and jam sandwiches done the same way - today sounds very unhealthy!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2013, 01:38 PM

One of my kids likes pineapple slices thrown on the barbie in his hamburger when we have a family get together. I can't say I am a fan.

ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->

my Da used to give us a treat as kids - bananas soaked in batter and then fried and jam sandwiches done the same way - today sounds very unhealthy!
I haven't tried banana fritters done in our batter but the Chinese way is lovely. As you say: not healthy but fine as a treat now again. Never had battered fried jam sandwiches though!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
One of my kids likes pineapple slices thrown on the barbie in his hamburger when we have a family get together. I can't say I am a fan.

The Spanish do a similar thing but with hot chicken and that is really nice.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 11:13 AM

I marinade slices of pineapple in a hot syrup made of soft brown sugar and rum. Allow to cool and serve with ice cream
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 11:28 AM

Ooh, now that is tempting Meg and one I might just be trying; very soon
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Ooh, now that is tempting Meg and one I might just be trying; very soon
Another way is to Flambé the pineapple them serve with ice cream

http://www.ocado.com/webshop/recipe/...?recipeId=1284

Watch your eyebrows
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

10-05-2013, 12:24 PM

Page duly bookmarked! I really like mascapone so I can see that one being done as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top