Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 11:48 AM

Re: Easy walks

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Urban Walks for me when I was working.

Urban walks again when I moved back to Shrewsbury, a beautiful historic town with so much to see and explore.

How times have changed.

A walk round the local supermarket was challenging yesterday.
I'm missing getting out and about Swimmy, and long for the day when I can once again explore new places. Shrewsbury sounds like a nice place to visit and it will certainly be on my 'Places to Visit' list. During my time as a courier I visited places I would not normally visit, and was surprised how different and interesting previously unknown places turned out to be. we still live a beautiful country...

It's good to hear that you are managing to get out and about, even if it is to the local supermarket....Well done Swim...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks Bratti, the lane is just at the end of our road and it takes you right out into the country. Miles of open space and arable farmland punctuated with the occasional wood. I used to wander here as a boy and it hasn't changed much since then.
That looks like a good walk OGF.
Lucky you for not much changing because when I visit the haunts of my childhood the places are nigh-on unrecognizable.
Mostly because of new housing developments, yet some say we've not been building enough for years.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 03:56 PM

What a pretty spring day! I don't know why, but it always surprises me how much the country lanes of plains most everywhere look the similar - Russia, Yorkshire, Kansas, Croatia - with their grain fields, wide open skies, volunteer trees, the occasional farmhouse, and even a railroad tracks.

What surprises me more is how few people you see in such places! Pure enjoyment! Glad you made it a day, OGF.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
That looks like a good walk OGF.
Lucky you for not much changing because when I visit the haunts of my childhood the places are nigh-on unrecognizable.
Mostly because of new housing developments, yet some say we've not been building enough for years.
The village has changed to some degree Zaphod, and there are plans afoot to build yet more houses, but the lanes and fields beyond the village, are still the same when I visited from the next village where I grew up.

When details were first posted about the planned development of around 200 houses I was angry and wanted to join the protestations, and then I thought about forty eight years ago, when a new bungalow estate was being raised, and Mrs Fox and I walked over the footings of the bungalow where I would spend at least the next fifty years.

Where would I have lived if the local residents had successfully campaigned against the development just like I was thinking of doing now......?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

10-04-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
What a pretty spring day! I don't know why, but it always surprises me how much the country lanes of plains most everywhere look the similar - Russia, Yorkshire, Kansas, Croatia - with their grain fields, wide open skies, volunteer trees, the occasional farmhouse, and even a railroad tracks.

What surprises me more is how few people you see in such places! Pure enjoyment! Glad you made it a day, OGF.
Thanks Surfermom, after a period of icy winds scurrying off the North sea all the way from Iceland, it was a brief interval of calm and warm spring sunshine... Unfortunately it didn't last and we have had snow for the last two days. I agree all the lanes look the same, just the locations are different...
I think country lanes were provided for you and me....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2021, 10:30 PM

The village has changed to some degree Zaphod, and there are plans afoot to build yet more houses, but the lanes and fields beyond the village, are still the same when I visited from the next village where I grew up.

When details were first posted about the planned development of around 200 houses I was angry and wanted to join the protestations, and then I thought about forty eight years ago, when a new bungalow estate was being raised, and Mrs Fox and I walked over the footings of the bungalow where I would spend at least the next fifty years.

Where would I have lived if the local residents had successfully campaigned against the development just like I was thinking of doing now......?
Yep, that same logic haunts me, when I look at what has happened around here, the new self righteous who live on previous green belt land, who complain about new development, bloody hypocritical Old Buggers.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2021, 12:29 AM

Thanks Bratti, the lane is just at the end of our road and it takes you right out into the country. Miles of open space and arable farmland punctuated with the occasional wood. I used to wander here as a boy and it hasn't changed much since then.
You live in a beautiful area.
It must be nice living in such an area that hasn’t changed much
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

11-04-2021, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
You live in a beautiful area.
It must be nice living in such an area that hasn’t changed much
It has it's compensations Bratti... I can shake of the rubbish of the 21st century with a stroll or a run out in the country just five minutes from where I live....

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top